Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Powwow: Milwaukee - United States

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Milwaukee - United States".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Consult Couture
Consult Couture  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
Spanish to English
Meeting place? Sep 16, 2003

Any suggestions on a good place to meet that day? I'm thinking 6 pm for appetizers, or something like that.

Carolingua
Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
some preliminary ideas Sep 17, 2003

I'm not at all familiar with Milwaukie, but I know it has a nice downtown waterfront area. I would suggest meeting in a downtown hotel that has a lounge where they serve food or perhaps a nice mall that has an indoor cafe/restaurant (I hear the Bayfront mall is nice--I don't know if I've got the name right). I will try to go online to see if I can make more specific suggestions.

Carolingua
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
more specifics Sep 18, 2003

Hotels: The Hilton or the Pfister Hotel seem to be the nicest. The Pfister had the most stars (4), according to the Yahoo Yellow pages. It's located at 424 E. Wisconsin Ave. We probably should call to make sure there is a restaurant/lounge inside.

The nice mall is Bay Shore Mall, which is at 5900 N. Port Washington. It has a variety of casual restaurants (including Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Tumbleweed Southwest Mesquite)and probably several coffee shops, though I could
... See more
Hotels: The Hilton or the Pfister Hotel seem to be the nicest. The Pfister had the most stars (4), according to the Yahoo Yellow pages. It's located at 424 E. Wisconsin Ave. We probably should call to make sure there is a restaurant/lounge inside.

The nice mall is Bay Shore Mall, which is at 5900 N. Port Washington. It has a variety of casual restaurants (including Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Tumbleweed Southwest Mesquite)and probably several coffee shops, though I could only find one in my quick search(Altera Coffee Roasting Cafe).

There are also lots of brewpubs/cocktail lounges in Milwaukee. Searching on Yahoo Yellow Pages I saw many of them, but I couldn't distinguish one from the next having never gone to any of them. One place caught my eye because it was located on the same street as the Pfister Hotel, and that was "John Hawk's Pub on the River", located at 100 E. Wisconsin Ave.

I hope these ideas are helpful to get us started. I'm looking forward to hearing others' suggestions/ideas.
Collapse

Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pfister Sep 18, 2003

There is a very nice restaurant and a more casual coffee shop place in the Pfister. Blu is a martini bar on the top level of the Pfister that has a very nice atmosphere and the best view in the whole city. That gets my vote.

There are tons of places to do something less formal, as well. I have tons of suggestions, but I think we should pin down a general 'type' of place first.

-JR

Jason Roberts
Dutch to English
+ ...
Another option Sep 18, 2003

The Safehouse, especially for those not from Milwaukee.
Maybe meet somewhere first, then go to the Safehouse?
-JR

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's the Safehouse, Jason? Sep 18, 2003

Asks one who's not from Milwaukee

I've only spent an afternoon in Milwaukee, made the requisite pilgrimage to the Art Museum (how 'bout those Spanish architects))

Here are some interesting words from architect Santiago Calatrava regarding the
... See more
Asks one who's not from Milwaukee

I've only spent an afternoon in Milwaukee, made the requisite pilgrimage to the Art Museum (how 'bout those Spanish architects))

Here are some interesting words from architect Santiago Calatrava regarding the city of Milwaukee: http://www.mam.org/site/biography.asp
Collapse

Consult Couture
United States
Spanish to English
Proposed Location Sep 21, 2003

Greetings! I think the "Velvet Room" might be a good place to meet. It's located downtown and has gotten a lot of praise in the past as "Best New Restaurant" and "Best Downtown Bar". Below is a link to the site. I will check into what kind of event accomodations they might have. What do you think?

http://www.velvetroommilwaukee.com/docs/location.html

Consult Couture
United States
Spanish to English
Does anyone have a date preference in mind? Sep 23, 2003

Jason Roberts
Dutch to English
+ ...
Safe House Sep 23, 2003

Safe house is absolutely unique. I really can't describe it, but the more I think about it, the more I think it would be the perfect place for us to meet.
Rachel Ray (from the food network's $40 a day) was just there and did a pretty nice piece about it. Here is the url:
http://www.safe-house.com

Carolingua
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
date preference Sep 23, 2003

I like the current date (Nov. 5th), althouth the next day (Thursday, Nov. 5th) might also be ok. I definitely prefer a weeknight; and need lots of advance notice because I have to arrange for childcare.

Consult Couture
United States
Spanish to English
FYI Sep 24, 2003

Greetings everyone,

I need to rescind the organizer role, but I am willing to report on the event and take pictures. The date works well for me. Keep me posted on the logistics.

Christina Green
Christina Green  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Place Sep 29, 2003

I like the Velvet Room. Although I don't know the Safe House, it seems a fun place. As for Alterra Cafe at Bayshore, it is a very small place outside of Boston Stores, and I don't think is the best option. The Pfister is a good choice as well. It's all up to you guys!

Jason Roberts
Dutch to English
+ ...
Getting Organized Sep 30, 2003

Okay, it seems like we need to nail down a few issues, so that those of us with families can make appropriate arrangements, and those who have to travel can plan:

1. An organizer (If no one else wants to do it, I will. I will be out of the country from October 12-22. I don't see that as a huge problem though.)

2. A date. On the table so far are Nov 5th and 6th. We have one person who can't make it on the 5th.

3. A location. It seems like the favorites are
... See more
Okay, it seems like we need to nail down a few issues, so that those of us with families can make appropriate arrangements, and those who have to travel can plan:

1. An organizer (If no one else wants to do it, I will. I will be out of the country from October 12-22. I don't see that as a huge problem though.)

2. A date. On the table so far are Nov 5th and 6th. We have one person who can't make it on the 5th.

3. A location. It seems like the favorites are The Velvet Room, Blu at the Pfister, and The Safe House. Velvet Room and Safe House serve food, Blu has an incredible view. Velvet Room is known for good food and hip atmosphere, and Safe House is fun and the kind of place you love to bring people from other places to, and end up talking about for years.

My suggestion is to have an informal vote on each of the three items above. How about posting your vote here or emailing me if you are the private type?

Also, does anyone mind if I announce this event on the Wisconsin Translators and Interpreters email list? ([email protected])
Collapse

Consult Couture
United States
Spanish to English
One vote for Velvet Oct 7, 2003

Saludos,
I was just at the Velvet Room last night. It's really nice and quite big. Jason: I think it's a great idea to post this on a listserve. The hardest part about these events is getting the word out. Thanks for stepping up!

Carolingua
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I vote for Velvet Room or Safe House Oct 7, 2003

Not knowing any of the places suggested, it's hard for me to vote...from the descriptions given, I think I prefer either Velvet Room or Safe House. Can I vote for both or either one? I would also prefer whichever one is easiest to find/get to for those who have never driven to Milwaukee before.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Milwaukee - United States

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »