Thread poster: Annette Bredewold
florac
florac  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:21
Italian to English
+ ...
Another Mac user agrees Nov 27, 2017

- I agree with everyone who doesn't want parallel boot camp or whatever on their Mac: I would buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 if it ran on my Macs without Windows. At the moment I am using the online version and pay every month but it too doesn't really like my Macs so I have problems cutting and pasting, for example. It's frustrating as we are actually supporting Trados - I intendo carrying on with my online version but I would dearly like it to do more.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Online version? Nov 28, 2017

florac wrote:

At the moment I am using the online version and pay every month ...

What online version would that be?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
SDL ONLINE TRANSLATION EDITOR - a downscaled version of Studio Nov 28, 2017

Hans Lenting wrote:
florac wrote:
At the moment I am using the online version and pay every month ...

What online version would that be?

Florac is probably using the SDL Online Transaltion Editor. You find it described here: http://www.sdltrados.com/products/language-cloud/online-editor/sdl-trados-studio-and-sdl-online-translation-editor.html

SDL themselves write:
"The SDL Online Translation Editor is an online tool to help you quickly translate and edit documents. It is perfect for people who might be looking for a tool to help with ad hoc translations, but do not require the functionality that we offer in our professional software – SDL Trados Studio Freelance."

So for the serious translator the online editor clearly is not the way to go.

Roy

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Very interesting Nov 28, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Florac is probably using the SDL Online Transaltion Editor.

Thank you! It's a real pity that it cannot work on SDL Trados (XLIFF) files, which of course is ‘by design’.

If it could process SDLXLIFF (even if it only would be one at a time), it would be the tool to go for Chromebook users.

In my opinion these Chromebooks offer a lot of value (speed, stability, looks) for little money.

Come to think of it:

• Create a bilingual Word document in SDL Studio
  • Populate the target column in Studio
  • Hide the source column in MS Word
  • Translate the target column in SDL Online Translation Editor

[Edited at 2017-11-28 10:13 GMT]

Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chromebook Nov 28, 2017

Dear Hans,

As I must confess to my shame I heard today the first time of chromebooks.

How userfriendly would you classify them for an almost new beginner with computers?
Sorry for this off-topic question - I am just searching for a christmas present for my little brother, who wishes a little notebook just for internet surfing and creating some Word/excel docs Would a chromebook be a good idea?

Kind regards
Annette

Hans Lenting wrote:

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Florac is probably using the SDL Online Transaltion Editor.

Thank you! It's a real pity that it cannot work on SDL Trados (XLIFF) files, which of course is ‘by design’.

If it could process SDLXLIFF (even if it only would be one at a time), it would be the tool to go for Chromebook users.

In my opinion these Chromebooks offer a lot of value (speed, stability, looks) for little money.

Come to think of it:

• Create a bilingual Word document in SDL Studio
  • Populate the target column in Studio
  • Hide the source column in MS Word
  • Translate the target column in SDL Online Translation Editor

[Edited at 2017-11-28 10:13 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Chromebooks are primarily meant for educational purposes Nov 28, 2017

Annette Bredewold wrote:

How userfriendly would you classify them for an almost new beginner with computers?

Just as user-friendly as Linux, Mac or Windows computers.

I am just searching for a christmas present for my little brother, who wishes a little notebook just for internet surfing and creating some Word/excel docs Would a chromebook be a good idea?

Chromebooks are very popular at schools/educational institutes. All software is running on Google's servers. Working offline is possible, however.

No viruses, no time needed for system maintenance. You open a Chromebook, and just start typing ahead.

Google (the creator of the operating system, ChromeOS, that is running on Chromebooks) has its own apps for wordprocessing and spreadsheet calculation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6V_h43-BIY.

When you migrate from Windows, you'll notice some differences in operation. When you have no prior experience with Windows, you won't have this minor 'problem'.

We have a 249,00 € Chromebook from HP and are very happy with it.

Olivier Vasseur
Olivier Vasseur  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
trados and parallel Dec 13, 2017

in my experience, TRADOS 2015 works quite well with Windows 8 on a 4 year old mac. Only trouble is memory : 8 Go is a bit low when I open mac programs at the same time as trados, which is the whole point of using parallel rather than bootcamp. When some mac process uses a lot of memory in the background for some reason, memory can be low and slow down the computer (memory usage turns yellow in Activity monitor). But I found that, by changing the settings of the virtual machine (Parallel "imitate... See more
in my experience, TRADOS 2015 works quite well with Windows 8 on a 4 year old mac. Only trouble is memory : 8 Go is a bit low when I open mac programs at the same time as trados, which is the whole point of using parallel rather than bootcamp. When some mac process uses a lot of memory in the background for some reason, memory can be low and slow down the computer (memory usage turns yellow in Activity monitor). But I found that, by changing the settings of the virtual machine (Parallel "imitates" a computer on which Windows is installed, which is called the virtual machine, the more powerful the virtual machine, the more ressources it needs) and closing as much applications as possible on the mac side, it works quite well. I manage to have TRADOS (in windows) opened as the same time as Word, or Excel, and sometimes preview (the Mac Pdf reader) for reference documents, as well as a Web Browser on the mac side.
I won"t change however for a newer version of TRADOS or Windows 10 with my current computer. And my advice would be to take more memory than the default provided by Apple, because this is the limiting factor. As others have said, Mac are rather robust and last long, newer version of the os works usually on rather old machines, the downside is the price and the difficulty (grrrr...) to upgrade: it is no longer possible to add memory without opening the machine, that is removing the screen...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 again not for mac :(

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »