Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Trados 7 upgrade from 6.5 worth the expense?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In my opinion Apr 25, 2005

we are posting all this in Trados Support forum, not SDLX-forum or CAT forum.
Why shall we start again to discuss, wether SDLY, Fusion or possibly DejaVu or even Transit is better?
This was not a question here, so there is IMO no necessity to post information about alternatives to Trados.
Many of us know them and have good reasons (as myself) not t use them.

So please do not start another discussion, what was first - the egg or the hen...
See more
we are posting all this in Trados Support forum, not SDLX-forum or CAT forum.
Why shall we start again to discuss, wether SDLY, Fusion or possibly DejaVu or even Transit is better?
This was not a question here, so there is IMO no necessity to post information about alternatives to Trados.
Many of us know them and have good reasons (as myself) not t use them.

So please do not start another discussion, what was first - the egg or the hen

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
tw4winClean.Main from a shortcut Apr 25, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Then try the Word macro, which does the same job without any problems. Simply hit ALT+F8, then search for tw4winClean.Main and let it run.

While we're speaking about this, I was tired of searching for tw4winClean.Main in the dialog box and found the way to add a shortcut in Trados toolbar - I spent a bit of time before succeeding but it was worth it, when there is a number of short documents it's a real time saver.

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
New Functions Apr 26, 2005

Hello

here is a short overvie of the new functions:

- better unicode support (east European chars in "German" sentences)
- better unicode support overall

- no support for Windows 98, ME or NT systems

- better integration of Multiterm (only with Multiterm iX/7)
- parallel queries in worbench on multiple term bases
- use of filtering for active terminoliy recognition
- terminology check in TagEditor
- som
... See more
Hello

here is a short overvie of the new functions:

- better unicode support (east European chars in "German" sentences)
- better unicode support overall

- no support for Windows 98, ME or NT systems

- better integration of Multiterm (only with Multiterm iX/7)
- parallel queries in worbench on multiple term bases
- use of filtering for active terminoliy recognition
- terminology check in TagEditor
- some more functions for easy use

- some improvements in data maintenance
- search for double entries (only TM Server)
- setting of bookmarks (???)
- WYSIWYG in TU edit mode

- lists of variables and abbr. can be linked to external sources

- TMX 1.4b

- Word --> TagEditor --> Word

TagEditor:
- faster work with lage documents
- AutoText function
- Splitting and Merging of TTX files
- book marks
- Terminology check plugin
- Check for not translated parts (plugin)
- Assistant for set options to Excel/Powerpoint conversion handling (with or without notes, ...)
- XML ini creation based from XML schema files
- Support for Conditional XML

Infos comes from an PDF from Trados.

With kind regards

Hans
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A queer approach to Trados and other computer programs. Apr 27, 2005

Ian Winick wrote:
Marinus, I work with Trados all the time and - like Ralf and Jerzy - rarely have problems. I reckon in your case, it's simply a question of inexperience with the program, a question that time will take care of.

Patience! Just can't wait to get it! ;o) It is a bit like working with MS Word for years and still having the feeling you only know 10% and use 5% of the available functions. It's only that...I am of the opinion that any computer programme should be designed with the demands of the user in mind. In reality it seems that the user must learn how the progammer thinks. That to me is the wrong way around.

A second issue I have with many so-called professional programs is their instability. I don't want thousands of features, 90% of which I don't need, that work reliably only if you stick to a book full of rules and workarounds. The professional program should first of all protect the work done so far against the errors of the user itself. I find TagEditor to be such a program and experience very little problems with it. But in conjunction with Word, Trados seems to be even more feeble than Word itself. I simply feel there is not enough protection against user error.

On the other hand Trados has a good concept and is market leader, thanks to active (aggressive?) marketing (again similar to Microsoft) and so there is little one can do but to hope for improvements in the next version. Since the Euro 148,75 for the upgrade from 6.5 softkey seem reasonable, I bought it anyway.

For the time being I will continue to work with it, curse, pray and look into the ProZ forums for help. After all, we live to learn, don't we.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
dongle / softkey Apr 27, 2005

So, I can buy the 6.5 Softkey for 148.75 EUR now and get Trados 7 for free when it comes. I currently have a dongle, switching it between my laptop and desktop as required. How is it with the softkey and working on two machines (only one at a time)?

Can anyone explain this aspect to me?

By the way, the "Word via TagEditor" feature is something I really look forward to, if it works.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have two full functional instances of Trados Apr 27, 2005

one on desktop, one on laptop.
Any you can simply switch the PC/laptop on ad start Trados. No need to plug in the dongle. Works very fine.
As far both are connected to a network, you can only run Trados on one of them, which is what the license states: you are entitled to install on two machines to use ONLY ONE AT A TIME.

Regards
Jerzy

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
The downside... Apr 27, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
you are entitled to install on two machines to use ONLY ONE AT A TIME.
Regards
Jerzy

Which is, unfortunately, the case even when you purchase TWO licences. I consider this a questionable policy by Trados. What is it? "Buy two, throw one way", or what?

Regards,
Stefan

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then why purchase TWO? Apr 27, 2005

Please read this, copied directly from www.translationzone.com

"Introducing Softkey Licensing for TRADOS Freelance
No More Dongles!

The new softkey license file is linked to your personal account at the online Customer Center using your name and email address.

Two Installations Per Purchase:
You are entitled to download from the Customer Center tw
... See more
Please read this, copied directly from www.translationzone.com

"Introducing Softkey Licensing for TRADOS Freelance
No More Dongles!

The new softkey license file is linked to your personal account at the online Customer Center using your name and email address.

Two Installations Per Purchase:
You are entitled to download from the Customer Center two (2) license files to use on up to two (2) computers, provided that only you use these computers at any given time. The intent of this provided flexibility allows you to use the same TRADOS 6.5.5 Freelance license on your desktop and on your laptop when you travel.

If you have a need to install your TRADOS 6.5.5 Freelance softkey on a third machine, simply contact your TRADOS office and we will determine how to accommodate your situation.

Installing your TRADOS license on a computer with the intent of giving the software away to someone who is not licensed to use your software is strictly prohibited. Violators of this agreement will be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.

Changing Computers or Operating Systems:
A system-changing event such as changing your hard disk, network card or similar, or purchasing a new computer, will NOT disrupt your softkey license.

Upgraders and the Dongle:
When you upgrade to TRADOS 6.5.5 from versions 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 3 or even earlier, you will be able to keep your dongle. This is important because you will need it to operate previous versions of TRADOS if you still need to use them. The TRADOS 6.5.5 Softkey is not able to run previous versions of TRADOS.

Please note that though you will be able to keep your dongle, you cannot give it away to another translator. Doing so violates the intent of your license agreement of one license belonging to one user.

For details on how TRADOS 6.5.2 users can obtain TRADOS 6.5.5, click here.

A Note On Networking:
TRADOS Freelance is designed to work in an individual computer environment and it will operate on any network. However, when using the new softkey license, you will only be able to operate one instance of TRADOS 6.5.5 Freelance on the same network at the same time. The second instance of TRADOS 6.5 Freelance on the same network will always run in demo mode.

Freelancers should only require one instance on a network. However, should you require more than one instance of TRADOS 6.5.5 on a network, you should buy TRADOS 6.5.5 LSP Power (also providing unlimited languages and TM file sharing capability). Attractive pricing options are available by contacting us at [email protected]."

You can read it alternatively here.
You are critisising something without beeing precise, so TBH I do not get your point.
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Germany
English to German
Because I share an office with another freelancer Apr 27, 2005

It's as simple as that. Both computers are connected to the same DSL line and the same printer via a router.

Trust me, I wouldn't want to buy two licences if I were in the office on my own. I'm not THAT stupid...

It's that policy of "two people make up an agency" that I really dislike. We don't even need to access the same TMs, because we work on different projects for different clients. And yet: Only one of us can use Trados at a time. And I certainly won't afford two
... See more
It's as simple as that. Both computers are connected to the same DSL line and the same printer via a router.

Trust me, I wouldn't want to buy two licences if I were in the office on my own. I'm not THAT stupid...

It's that policy of "two people make up an agency" that I really dislike. We don't even need to access the same TMs, because we work on different projects for different clients. And yet: Only one of us can use Trados at a time. And I certainly won't afford two LSP licences.

Regards,
Stefan
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you contacted Trados on that? Apr 28, 2005

Did you try to get two licenses working parallel on the network?

Regards
Jerzy

Stefan Keller
Germany
English to German
Why should I? Apr 28, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Did you try to get two licenses working parallel on the network?
Regards
Jerzy

In all relevant sections of their web site, Trados explicitly say that you can't run two softkey licences of Trados Freelance in a LAN. So I don't think it makes sense to "try anyway", does it?

I did contact Trados via e-mail two days ago, described my office setup, but haven't received a reply yet.

Regards,
Stefan

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would try to call their office Apr 28, 2005

And not say "it does not make sense anyway".
This is allways the easiest way.
First give it a try and then we shall see.
I´n not sure, if it is possible, but nevertheless I would try that.

Regards
Jerzy

Stefan Keller
Germany
English to German
Jerzy... Apr 28, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And not say "it does not make sense anyway".
This is allways the easiest way.
First give it a try and then we shall see.
I´n not sure, if it is possible, but nevertheless I would try that.

Regards
Jerzy

"Anyway" was referring to "try", not to "make sense".

You should not forget that in order to "try" I first need to "buy" (poetic, huh?). And since I'm not prepared to throw money out the window, I won't switch to softkey licences unless Trados confirm that they work in parallel. Should I receive a reply from Trados, I'll let you know.

Best regards,
Stefan

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, I see your reasons Apr 28, 2005

And as you are surely not the only one in such situation, please post any news about this for "the future generations"

Thank you
Jerzy

Stefan Keller
Germany
English to German
Sure Apr 28, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And as you are surely not the only one in such situation, please post any news about this for "the future generations"

Thank you
Jerzy

I'll keep you posted

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 upgrade from 6.5 worth the expense?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »