Russian alphabet not shown correctly in cleaned file
Autor wątku: Tupa
Tupa
Tupa
fiński > angielski
Aug 12, 2005

Dear all,

I have translated a tagged text file exported from Corel Ventura 10.397 with Trados TagEditor 6.5.5.438 (Build 439) from English into Russian. Russian words are displayed perfectly in the TagEditor window, but when I clean up the bilingual file with Trados, the resulting monolingual .txt file is in Western characters. Russian text is, then, undecipherable.

I surely have cyrillic fonts enabled, since copy&pasting Russian text straight from the TagEditor window
... See more
Dear all,

I have translated a tagged text file exported from Corel Ventura 10.397 with Trados TagEditor 6.5.5.438 (Build 439) from English into Russian. Russian words are displayed perfectly in the TagEditor window, but when I clean up the bilingual file with Trados, the resulting monolingual .txt file is in Western characters. Russian text is, then, undecipherable.

I surely have cyrillic fonts enabled, since copy&pasting Russian text straight from the TagEditor window to Notepad (with which I view the cleaned monolingual .txt file) works fine - the Russian text is in cyrillic letters when it has been copy&pasted from TagEditor into Notepad but not when it has been cleaned using Trados.

So Trados loses the cyrillicity of the text when it cleans up the bilingual file. How do I fix this? Should I use a dtd file? I have tried to set a cyrillic font (e.g. Arial CYR) as the target language font in Workbench (File > Setup > Fonts > Target language font) but this does not help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 03:12
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

polski > niemiecki
+ ...
Use "Save target text as" in TAG Editor instead of cleaning Aug 12, 2005

Maybe this could help.
But still I do not understand why do you care about the resulting text file? What counts, is the behaviour after importing into Ventura - so I would try to do that first, then selecting the proper font in Ventura, then it should work.
At least this is the way it works for Polish...

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian alphabet not shown correctly in cleaned file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »