Autor de la hebra: Jennifer Vela Valido
Jennifer Vela Valido
Jennifer Vela Valido  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:56
inglés al español
+ ...
Aug 14, 2005

I hope someone can help me with this:
I use Trados 5 with Word 2000 and quite often the keyboard settings seem to change on their own. Question marks, brackets, commas and the rest of special characters are not in the usual keys and I have to spend my time guessing where they are now. Has anybody had the same problem? How could I solve it?

PS I use a Spanish keyboard.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 02:56
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Where's the connection to Trados? Aug 14, 2005

Hi Jennifer,
What makes you think that this is caused by Trados?
The keyboard mapping is usually controlled by the operating system...?

Puzzled, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2003
polaco al alemán
+ ...
What you describe seems to be connected to the language settings of your document Aug 14, 2005

and Word!

Is it so, that this behaviour occurs allways when you work with Word?
If so, then please check the following:
- The automatic language recognition must be deselected.
- Set the language of your document to your target language (the best way to do so is a corresponding modification of styles in Word)
- Be sure, that the language setting of your TM does match the languages you translate (ie don�
... See more
and Word!

Is it so, that this behaviour occurs allways when you work with Word?
- Set the language of your document to your target language (the best way to do so is a corresponding modification of styles in Word)
- Be sure, that the language setting of your TM does match the languages you translate (ie don´t use Spanish-English TM to translate into Spanish, as Trados will try to format your target text as Spanish, even if it is English).

Should you encoutner trouble with finding how to deselect the automatic language recognition (auto detect language) or how to work with styles and ho to change the language of the document, please see Word help first, befor you ask. Word help is very sophisticated and can show you in your language, where you can find the necessary settings - which is impossible for me here, because I use german Word.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Jennifer Vela Valido
inglés al español
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Only when I work with Word+Workbench Aug 14, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
What makes you think that this is caused by Trados?
The keyboard mapping is usually controlled by the operating system...?
Puzzled, Ralf

That is the funny thing Ralf. This problem only happens when I work with Word and Wordbench and there is not a complete change on the settings, as I can type as usual when I use any other word processor.
Extrange, isn't it?

Jennifer Vela Valido
inglés al español
+ ...
Nothing changes Aug 14, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
- Be sure, that the language setting of your TM does match the languages you translate (ie don´t use Spanish-English TM to translate into Spanish, as Trados will try to format your target text as Spanish, even if it is English).
Jerzy

Thanks a lot for your help, Jerzy. You were right about the automatic language recognition, it was selected. I have made all the changes you suggested but the setting problem still remains.
It is like if I had pressed a wrong button and had change the settings somehow.
I think I'll try the best solution for these kinds of problems: I'll turned my computer off.

Thank you again.
I have just done it and... guess what! It worked! Now I'm really puzzled! I really can't understand it.

Thank you for your help anyway.

[Edited at 2005-08-14 23:10]

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
inglés al alemán
Do you have multiple keyboard layouts activated? Aug 15, 2005

Hi Jennifer,

Select Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options (it's a globe icon). Then click the Languages tab and Details. This will open the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box. Check the selected keyboard layouts and delete the ones you don't want to use.
(If you have multiple layouts installed, you switch between them with the left AlT and SHIFT keys. Since Trados uses a lot of shortcuts you might have accidentally switched to a different keyboard
... See more
Hi Jennifer,

Select Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options (it's a globe icon). Then click the Languages tab and Details. This will open the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box. Check the selected keyboard layouts and delete the ones you don't want to use.
(If you have multiple layouts installed, you switch between them with the left AlT and SHIFT keys. Since Trados uses a lot of shortcuts you might have accidentally switched to a different keyboard layout.)

Olaf
Collapse

Jennifer Vela Valido
inglés al español
+ ...
That was it! Aug 15, 2005

Olaf wrote:
If you have multiple layouts installed, you switch between them with the left AlT and SHIFT keys. Since Trados uses a lot of shortcuts you might have accidentally switched to a different keyboard layout.
Olaf

Thank you a lot Olaf! I did have multiple layouts installed, that's why I had problems with my keyboard settings. I deleted the ones I don't need and now everything seems to be fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extrange behaviour of keyboard in Trados 5

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »