Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The annoying "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in St. 2022 (package file)
Thread poster: Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 22:52
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
May 7, 2023

I keep getting this annoying error in Studio 2022: "object reference not set to an instance of an object"

It's a package file that was sent to me. I contacted the client, they redid the package, but the error is still the same. It works fine on their end.

On my end the file works for a couple of segments, then I get this error, and everything is stuck, I can't even close Trados normally. I tried several things offered in community support like Trados repair, returning s
... See more
I keep getting this annoying error in Studio 2022: "object reference not set to an instance of an object"

It's a package file that was sent to me. I contacted the client, they redid the package, but the error is still the same. It works fine on their end.

On my end the file works for a couple of segments, then I get this error, and everything is stuck, I can't even close Trados normally. I tried several things offered in community support like Trados repair, returning settings to default and some other things (can't remember all).

Still the same. It's tricky as it tricks me into working fine, the gets stuck in the middle of the work (client's package and package TM, then I lose all the work I did until then).

I have never experienced this error before, although in the community I see they say it's quite common.

Can somebody help? Thanks.

[Edited at 2023-05-07 18:55 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 7, 2023

[Edited at 2023-05-07 19:10 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried May 7, 2023

I tried the one below before, several times, didn't work:

In SDL Trados Studio, reset the window layout: View
ribbon > Reset Window Layout button.

Close and reopen SDL Trados Studio.

Restart your computer.

- I'll check the other ones.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried this May 7, 2023

I tried the full sequence below, it's still the same, the error persists.

Restart your computer.

Close SDL Trados Studio and, in Windows Explorer, go to
the folder UserAppData RoamingSDLSDL Trados
Studio[XX.0.0.0].

Delete the following files.
- BaseSettings.xml<
... See more
I tried the full sequence below, it's still the same, the error persists.

Restart your computer.

Close SDL Trados Studio and, in Windows Explorer, go to
the folder UserAppData RoamingSDLSDL Trados
Studio[XX.0.0.0].

Delete the following files.
- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml

Reopen SDL Trados Studio
N.B. This process will reset any user-specified settings
(window positions, colours, text size, etc.).

Close SDL Trados Studio.
In Windows Explorer, go to the folder DocumentsStudio
2014Projects.

Delete the file projects.xml.

Reopen SDL Trados Studio.
N.B. All projects will have been removed from the
list."
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Table May 8, 2023

Since you have this problem only with one specific problem, how about this workaround:

Export the project to a bilingual table and translate this as an Ms Word project?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TBs and TMs May 8, 2023

Maybe you should disconnect all associated TBs and TMs (and DeepL) and start Studio again. If it works then, connect them again step for step. Good luck!

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not possible May 8, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Since you have this problem only with one specific problem, how about this workaround:

Export the project to a bilingual table and translate this as an Ms Word project?

The client wants the package return.

Btw, I tested other files, unrelated to this project, and this is not happening on any other file. These are not package files though.

I didn’t even try to contact Trados support because I know they are completely inefficient. Or they charge for an actual support as far as I can remember.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Workaround May 8, 2023

Assuming you have the problematic package opened and a project has been created:
1) Create a completely new project
2) Add to the new project xliffs from the target folder of your problematic package project
3) Add to the new project any TMs you need (including the TM from your problematic project)
4) Translate as usually
5) Save the translated target files into the target folder of the problematic project (in the Editor: File - Advanced Save - Save Copy As - overw
... See more
Assuming you have the problematic package opened and a project has been created:
1) Create a completely new project
2) Add to the new project xliffs from the target folder of your problematic package project
3) Add to the new project any TMs you need (including the TM from your problematic project)
4) Translate as usually
5) Save the translated target files into the target folder of the problematic project (in the Editor: File - Advanced Save - Save Copy As - overwrite)
Copy the project TM to the package (if a TM is added there)
6) Open the problematic project and create the return package you need to send to the client.
(Before creating the return package you would need to confirm all translated segments but you can do this by choosing the first segment - pressing Shift and last segment, and changing the segment status from the right-click menu.)

[Edited at 2023-05-08 07:50 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Matthias Brombach
Jorge Payan

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried the new package May 8, 2023

Already tried the new package with file copying thing, the error reappeared.

Questions: Can all this be related to how the client created the package? If the package works fine on the client’s end, does this prove anything at all? Client is in 2019, I am in 2022.

Tried de/reattaching TMs, adding Any TM, and everything in between, didn’t work. i am not aware DeepL is enabled anywhere.

I just concluded:

The client opens the package, the packa
... See more

Questions: Can all this be related to how the client created the package? If the package works fine on the client’s end, does this prove anything at all? Client is in 2019, I am in 2022.

Tried de/reattaching TMs, adding Any TM, and everything in between, didn’t work. i am not aware DeepL is enabled anywhere.

I just concluded:

The client opens the package, the package opens fine and the client reports: the package works fine.
I open the package, the package works fine until about the 30th segment, then “object reference” appears and everything is stuck, I lose all work.

So I don’t really see how mine and the client’s “test” are the same. The client didn’t test the file the way I did. Their test is not valid and them reporting the package works fine doesn’t mean anything.

[Edited at 2023-05-08 09:27 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Import the translated table May 8, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

And create the RP.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Importing May 8, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

And create the RP.

This means I can spend time translating the table and then get the same error during the import. I already lost work twice, I won’t be taking that risk again.

I can’t test it on an empty table because the error appears at some random, later segments.

[Edited at 2023-05-08 08:37 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried the new package May 8, 2023

Questions: Can all this be related to the way how the client created the package? If the package works fine on the client’s end, does this prove anything at all? Client is in 2019, I am in 2022.

Tried reattaching TMs, adding Any TM, and everything in between, didn’t work. i am not aware DeepL is enabled anywhere.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Create a new project May 8, 2023

...and then import all associated files again into that new project (if your Studio still works at all, with the other projects done previously). You should be able to access the .sdlxliff files in the original project folders and their TMs and TBs).

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did May 8, 2023

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...and then import all associated files again into that new project (if your Studio still works at all, with the other projects done previously). You should be able to access the .sdlxliff files in the original project folders and their TMs and TBs).

I accessed both Excel and sdxliff, no difference, the error was in both. I explained about the new project above, didn’t work.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Comments May 8, 2023

Maybe the trouble was/is caused by comments integrated into one of your source (Office) files. I had that caused many problems a couple of years ago.

Dan Lucas

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The annoying "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in St. 2022 (package file)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »