Hundreds of court, Garda interpreters have no qualification (Ireland)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Hundreds of court, Garda interpreters have no qualification (Ireland)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 18:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh look. Lionbridge again... Jun 9, 2010

I quote from the full article, as linked: "The Courts Service says it appointed Lionbridge Ireland Ltd as the single provider of services following an international tender. This contract involved a series of levels of proficiency for interpreters ranging from “competency” in English to having a specific qualification in interpreting."

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Market forces at work Jun 9, 2010

Given what Lionbridge pay their court interpreters in Ireland (which I read about a while ago here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5993267.ece ), I'm just surprised that there are "many" people willing to interpret in Irish courts, unqualified or otherwise, as Ireland is *not* a cheap country to live in. They seem to have gone back to the ... See more
Given what Lionbridge pay their court interpreters in Ireland (which I read about a while ago here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5993267.ece ), I'm just surprised that there are "many" people willing to interpret in Irish courts, unqualified or otherwise, as Ireland is *not* a cheap country to live in. They seem to have gone back to the situation that the UK was in prior to the creation of the NRPSI, which many British authorities are now bypassing.

[Edited at 2010-06-09 18:03 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hundreds of court, Garda interpreters have no qualification (Ireland)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »