Some uses for machine translation that can help you

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Some uses for machine translation that can help you".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Risky Apr 29, 2011

I agree that in some very special cases, MT can help give you the gist of some text in case of urgent need or unavailable translation in that moment.

However, this practice may still be dangerous for the person or company that uses machine translation as described above.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:09
Chinese to English
Anyone done any work on MyGengo? Apr 29, 2011

I know we're not supposed to comment on outsourcers, so I won't make a comment. I will simply say that I have not yet done any work with this outsourcer. I wonder if any colleagues have, in any language combinations?

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
French to English
+ ...
Not actually news Apr 29, 2011

Please note that the article in question is just an advertorial for the company in question and not actually "news". It's not clear to me why ProZ is promoting this in its news section.

That said, I would just like to point out in case anyone is in the slightest remotest doubt about this:

- if you reach the level of mistrust of your translators where you are using Google Translate as some kind of checking tool, then really you just need to hire a different translator;
... See more
Please note that the article in question is just an advertorial for the company in question and not actually "news". It's not clear to me why ProZ is promoting this in its news section.

That said, I would just like to point out in case anyone is in the slightest remotest doubt about this:

- if you reach the level of mistrust of your translators where you are using Google Translate as some kind of checking tool, then really you just need to hire a different translator;
- GT and other statistical translation tools are essentially a form of search tool, searching for the statistically most likely translation on the basis of a database of previous examples; although they often produce translations with some mistakes/disfluencies, by their very goal and nature they will also sometimes produce a translation which is the same or siimilar to the most common one that would be produced by a human translator. So GT producing the same translation doesn't automatically mean "the translator used a computer translation tool" in all cases.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well said Mr C Apr 29, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

- GT and other statistical translation tools are essentially a form of search tool, ...

Machine translation is like a machine gun - in the wrong hands it can be deadly. I use a clunky old version of Systran on some types of text as a break from typing (I've done so for years and know all the bloopers it'll come up with, like translating "piña" as "fragmentation grenade" and misspelling bullfighter). I even bought the latest version, but can't use it, since it suffers from the perennial techno affliction of too many bells and whistles, change for change's sake and clunky user interface.

The more efficient GT and similar search SW become, the more unscrupulous operators (and not only in the parlous Orient) will build their legion of MT slaves and requests for "proofing/revising" of MT dogs' breakfasts will become even more rife, until in the end the figure of the translator will become rara avis, like the scrivener or wainwright of old.
Caveat emptor.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Fully agree Apr 29, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

Proz polices forum content quite aggressively (or should I say annoyingly?), but there seems to be no filter in the news section... sad.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I like the comparison... Apr 29, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Machine translation is like a machine gun - in the wrong hands it can be deadly. I use a clunky old version of Systran on some types of text as a break from typing (I've done so for years and know all the bloopers it'll come up with, like translating "piña" as "fragmentation grenade" and misspelling bullfighter). I even bought the latest version, but can't use it, since it suffers from the perennial techno affliction of too many bells and whistles, change for change's sake and clunky user interface.
(.../...)

And even a MG needs some maintenance from time to time. I don't think that the SBS or the RM for example would subcontract such a job to unknown and ever-changing entities (which is what GT and other "free" MT systems are if we look at them closely).

And the part about GT being "vital" - errrm....

[Edited at 2011-04-29 09:32 GMT]

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
The translation News section has different categories: opinion and features is one of them Apr 29, 2011

Dear FarkasAndras and Neil Coffey
FarkasAndras wrote:

Neil Coffey wrote:

Proz polices forum content quite aggressively (or should I say annoyingly?), but there seems to be no filter in the news section... sad.

The translation news section has different categories: Translation industry news, opinion and features, product news and events and announcements. This item was posted in the opinion and features section. Please note that ProZ.com is a platform where translators, interpreters, language professionals and agencies meet and network. This item may not be relevant to you but other parties in the translation industry may find it useful and may incorporate a similar process as the one described here. Also I find the debate regarding the pros and cons of using machine translation quite fascinating and may times items posted in the sections of the translation news feature trigger interesting discussions.

Also please note that items in this section do require approval from site staff (me in this case).

If you have any suggestions for improving this feature or news you would like to see covered you can reach me at romina at proz.com.

I'd like to remind you that you are all welcome to submit news to this section.

Thanks!
Romina

hoangdiem
hoangdiem
Local time: 07:09
English to Vietnamese
useful in some cases May 1, 2011

in my opinion, GT is a useful tool in some cases
when i read an article used foreign language, i often use Google Chrome, it translate in to my native language, in that case GT can help me broaden my vocabulary, suggest the meaning of new words. i always check again those words about meaning, and i think that the rate of meaning correct is very high, but the correct of structure and grammar is low.
so, i think that GT is very useful for monolingual in emergency and for people who j
... See more
in my opinion, GT is a useful tool in some cases
when i read an article used foreign language, i often use Google Chrome, it translate in to my native language, in that case GT can help me broaden my vocabulary, suggest the meaning of new words. i always check again those words about meaning, and i think that the rate of meaning correct is very high, but the correct of structure and grammar is low.
so, i think that GT is very useful for monolingual in emergency and for people who just need to understand the content of what is written.
GT is just machine not replaced by translators like us.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some uses for machine translation that can help you

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »