Translation errors cause disputes over contract terms

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Translation errors cause disputes over contract terms".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac
neilmac
أسبانيا
Local time: 10:56
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Interesting Mar 26, 2012

The headline could also have read "Some companies try to save money by hiring students instead of translators"!
It's nice to see an article rasing this issue, which I see examples of on a regular basis in my Spanish-English pair. And I've also seen (and repaired) some real howlers of translations from Chinese on business websites.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
غانا
Local time: 08:56
ياباني إلى أنجليزي
There's more Mar 26, 2012

neilmac wrote:

The headline could also have read "Some companies try to save money by hiring students instead of translators"!

Not necessarily. The article also makes the point that most agencies and translators just aren't qualified to translate complex material like maritime contracts. Legalese+industry-specific terms+many agencies in China = disaster.

Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
إيطاليا
Local time: 10:56
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Basement translations in the dark Mar 28, 2012

I think that this was a "basement translation", implying that this was done without research and competence. Personally, I always fully research such translations, especially contracts and pattents, where law on royalties, rights of intellectual property, civil law, etc. are all involved. This stuff is no joking matter and the fault is not only that of the translator (who needs to make his bread and butter) but of the agencies and of the sector as a whole.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
الصين
Local time: 16:56
صيني إلى أنجليزي
How ironic... Apr 3, 2012

A badly translated article about bad translation!
For example, I don't think the student point means what you think it means, Neil. They're actually saying, even if you were a star student at university, you're still going to find technical contract translation hard.
Nice to see poor translation recognised, but a shame they don't mention the biggest problem: lack of competent English speaking translators.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation errors cause disputes over contract terms

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »