Various questions about bugs/features Wordfast 6 (Pro)
Auteur du fil: Alex Lago
Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 22:31
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Aug 12, 2009

Hello,

I would like to know if anything is being done (in new releases) about the following problems as I have seen no mention of them on the Know issues page of the Wordfast website:

1- Erratic/erroneous autopropagation when you join/split segments (I think this is in the Know issues section of the website, although they just say "Difficulty with Expand and Shrink Segment feature" though if anybody has experienced this it is more a disaster than a difficulty as it can
... See more
Hello,

I would like to know if anything is being done (in new releases) about the following problems as I have seen no mention of them on the Know issues page of the Wordfast website:

1- Erratic/erroneous autopropagation when you join/split segments (I think this is in the Know issues section of the website, although they just say "Difficulty with Expand and Shrink Segment feature" though if anybody has experienced this it is more a disaster than a difficulty as it can mess up hours of translating when you first start using the program until you realize there is a problem).
2- No spell cheking of text in capital letters.
3- No way to filter unconfirmed segments.
4- VLTM for ES>EN and EN>ES.
5- Change direction of TM (ie turn a ES>EN TM to EN>ES).
6- Bad fuzzy segments, i.e. with Wordfast 5 if you had a list of numberes items XXX 1, XXX 2, XXX 3 the program automatically translated it correctly YYY 1, YYY 2, YYY 3, however now you get YYY 1 in each segment and have to change the number manually.
7- Various glossary entries for same word, before you could have more than one glossary entry per word, the program still lets you do this but will only let you "place" the first item.
7b- Glossary is not case sensitive depending on the source (I think this is in the Know issues section of the website under "Upper Case to Lower Case Change").
8- Wordfast 5 had many useful setup options, amongst some of my favorites where many of the options of Pandoras Box, Wordfast 6 has nothing like that.
9- Not being able to easily select text, as the control key is used a lot by the program the arrow+select option does not let you choose a select a whole word, you have to go letter by letter using the arrows, or use the mouse which slows you down, there should be some key combination to select whole words (and keep on selecting if you leave them pressed).
10- When you cut some text out of a segment you get a pop up saying this will close the segment, this is very annoying, as you then have to press tab various times to get to No or use the mouse all of which slows you down.
11- If you are on the lowest visible segment, when you pass on to the next segment the source segment gets sent above the page so you cant see it, you have to use the sidebar arrows to make it visible.
Collapse

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 16:31
Various questions about bugs/features Wordfast Pro Aug 20, 2009

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your feedback. Our development team is currently working to release a new version of Wordfast Pro in the upcoming days. This upcoming release will address issue #1 regarding expanding/shrinking segments. In regards to your VLTM question, with WF Pro you need to be sure the exact language pair is selected. If you select just "Spanish" it won't work; you have to select "Spanish - Spain" ("ES-ES", not just "ES").

Once we release the new build,
... See more
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your feedback. Our development team is currently working to release a new version of Wordfast Pro in the upcoming days. This upcoming release will address issue #1 regarding expanding/shrinking segments. In regards to your VLTM question, with WF Pro you need to be sure the exact language pair is selected. If you select just "Spanish" it won't work; you have to select "Spanish - Spain" ("ES-ES", not just "ES").

Once we release the new build, we will prioritize the rest of your feedback below for future releases.

Sincerely,

Kristyna
Collapse

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovénie
Membre (2006)
slovène vers allemand
+ ...
Bugs Wordfast pro Aug 21, 2009

I am glad to hear a new version will be released.

Here are some bugs, that I have discovered:
- It does not recognize singular/plural word if the word in the dictionary was entered either in singular or plural or declination of verbs.
- It does not recognize words from a dictionary if the entered word is followed by a eg. exclamation mark, full stop ...
-There is no way to enter the word from the dictionary by eg. clicking on it, you have to type the word every tim
... See more
I am glad to hear a new version will be released.

Here are some bugs, that I have discovered:
- It does not recognize singular/plural word if the word in the dictionary was entered either in singular or plural or declination of verbs.
- It does not recognize words from a dictionary if the entered word is followed by a eg. exclamation mark, full stop ...
-There is no way to enter the word from the dictionary by eg. clicking on it, you have to type the word every time it appeares in the text or use the search box.
- It does not recognize common abbreviations followed by a full stop in the source text, and creates two or three segments (example: german abbreviation for "for example" z. B.)
Collapse

Kristyna Marrero
États-Unis
Some Issues are Resolved Aug 21, 2009

Hi Tjasa,

Thank you for your feedback. I assume that when you say "dictionary" you are referring to the "glossary." If that's the case, several of the issues you mention below will be resolved in the upcoming build. Please see my notes -

{- It does not recognize singular/plural word if the word in the dictionary was entered either in singular or plural or declination of verbs.
- It does not recognize words from a dictionary if the entered word is followed by a
... See more
Hi Tjasa,

Thank you for your feedback. I assume that when you say "dictionary" you are referring to the "glossary." If that's the case, several of the issues you mention below will be resolved in the upcoming build. Please see my notes -

{- It does not recognize singular/plural word if the word in the dictionary was entered either in singular or plural or declination of verbs.
- It does not recognize words from a dictionary if the entered word is followed by a eg. exclamation mark, full stop ...}

The upcoming release will contain glossary stemming which will allow you to use the * operator to recognize parts of words

{-There is no way to enter the word from the dictionary by eg. clicking on it, you have to type the word every time it appeares in the text or use the search box.}

If a term appears in the glossary, you can use the previous term/next term/copy term arrows to pull that term automatically into the target segment, or you can use the corresponding keyboard shortcuts.

{- It does not recognize common abbreviations followed by a full stop in the source text, and creates two or three segments (example: german abbreviation for "for example" z. B.)}

This is on the list to be fixed in the next release after this upcoming one.

Sincerely,

Kristyna
Collapse

Scott Spellerberg (X)
Scott Spellerberg (X)  Identity Verified
Suède
suédois vers anglais
+ ...
I have come to hate Wordfast with a passion and greatly regret buying it Oct 3, 2009

"Pro" is slow as mud.
Once the Expand/Shrink bug is encountered it seems to pollute that source file forever, I can toss out the project, create a new project and it still f--s up at that spot again. Hours and hours and hours of time wasted, time after time.

After reading about the latest release that fixes the expand/shrink snafu, I tried using the "update" feature in "About" and it placed me at a page asking me to select additional dictionaries and editor features, but once
... See more
"Pro" is slow as mud.
Once the Expand/Shrink bug is encountered it seems to pollute that source file forever, I can toss out the project, create a new project and it still f--s up at that spot again. Hours and hours and hours of time wasted, time after time.

After reading about the latest release that fixes the expand/shrink snafu, I tried using the "update" feature in "About" and it placed me at a page asking me to select additional dictionaries and editor features, but once there, there was no way out. It hangs up. Thus, no update, still stuck with the old problems.

I used to use Wordfast (now called Classic) once upon a time when it was integrated into Word and it worked fine, but this new "Pro" interface is PRO-longed agony.

We tried downloading "classic" for my Vista laptop and got Pro instead, which is like going to going to singles bar and getting the clap.

Sorry about the gloomy mood, but it's earned after another wasted day trying to get this thing to behave as promised.

All I ask out of software is proper, comprehensive testing before it is released, so that we poorly paid translators can use our brief time on this earth as we want. If I wanted to be a guinea pig, I'd sign up for clinical drug trials.

Not only was €350 expensive enough to buy, but the lost income in fighting with the software and not making much headway due to bugs has cost me several times that in lost income from work I SHOULD have been able to do in the meantime.

[Edited at 2009-10-04 08:10 GMT]
Collapse

Kristyna Marrero
États-Unis
Upgrade to version 2.2.2 Oct 7, 2009

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. I am wondering what version you are working with. The speed issue was addressed in our June release and users have reported WFP to be much faster. Also, the update feature is only available once you download the latest version 2.2.2 from our
... See more
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. I am wondering what version you are working with. The speed issue was addressed in our June release and users have reported WFP to be much faster. Also, the update feature is only available once you download the latest version 2.2.2 from our website here www.wordfast.com/store_download.html . Once you have this latest version installed, you'll be able to use the update feature going forward.

If you are still encountering issues with version 2.2.2, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

One other thing to note: you can still install and license Wordfast Classic on your machine and use it as well. All license holders have access to both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro.

Sincerely,

Kristyna
Collapse

Felicity Raikes (X)
Felicity Raikes (X)  Identity Verified
Belgique
français vers anglais
+ ...
slow Wordfast Dec 10, 2009

I agree - Wordfast Pro is maddeningly slow on anything more than about 500 segments. I have Version 2.2.0.4, is it possible to upgrade and continue to work on the same document or are they no longer compatible?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Égypte
Local time: 23:31
anglais vers arabe
Upgrade Dec 10, 2009

Felicity Raikes wrote:

I agree - Wordfast Pro is maddeningly slow on anything more than about 500 segments. I have Version 2.2.0.4, is it possible to upgrade and continue to work on the same document or are they no longer compatible?

Dear Felicity,

The version you currently use is very old. It is highly recommended to download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

If the file you are translating now is an INX (InDesign) file, you cannot use the new version for completing it; you must start and complete it in the old version or start and complete it in the new version.

Otherwise, if you translate any other file types, you can upgrade immediately to the new version without any problem.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
anglais vers polonais
+ ...
Wordfast Pro: Smart Quotes and PPT translation Dec 17, 2009

I've just attempted to translate a PPT file in WF Pro and stumbled across the following issues:
1. quote marks (singe ' and double ") are of the straight type rather than printer/curly type (singe ‘’ and double “”) (called smart in MS Word)

2. after opening the PPT file the slides seem to be not in the original order. The segments offered for translation by WF Classic were (often) not in the order they appeared on the slide of a PPT file and I understand why. I can har
... See more
I've just attempted to translate a PPT file in WF Pro and stumbled across the following issues:
1. quote marks (singe ' and double ") are of the straight type rather than printer/curly type (singe ‘’ and double “”) (called smart in MS Word)

2. after opening the PPT file the slides seem to be not in the original order. The segments offered for translation by WF Classic were (often) not in the order they appeared on the slide of a PPT file and I understand why. I can hardly believe WF Pro messes up SLIDES without even giving the slide number somewhere as support for the translator.

Have you guys experienced similar problems and found a way out of it?

IMHO this renders Wordfast Pro unsuitable for its intended purpose, i.e. aiding translation and is a significant step back.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Various questions about bugs/features Wordfast 6 (Pro)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »