Help RTF Files localization
Thread poster: RosaT
RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:57
Sep 11, 2003

Hi all,

I just would like to confirm the translatable parts in a Help RTF file.

If my memory still serves me right, only the text after the $ and K signs needed translation in the footers. Is this so?

Also, I am not sure about the double-underlined links. I think these needed translation, while the hidden text (underlined with dots) after them needed to be left as is. Is this correct?

I would greatly appreciate your help in this respect.
... See more
Hi all,

If my memory still serves me right, only the text after the $ and K signs needed translation in the footers. Is this so?

Also, I am not sure about the double-underlined links. I think these needed translation, while the hidden text (underlined with dots) after them needed to be left as is. Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Kity (X)
Kity (X)
Brazil
Local time: 20:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You are right! Sep 11, 2003

Yes, I've been translating help files for a long time and your considerations are right.

Boris Popov
Boris Popov
Local time: 02:57
English to Russian
+ ...
You are absolutely right. Just finished a similar project myself. Sep 11, 2003

Leave the text marked with the # and + signs as it is.

Besides, check very carefully that the same text style as in the sourse file is used for double-underlined links. These are jumps to topics and the hiddent text defines the target topics.

The hiddent text should also have the same style as in the sourse but should not be modified in any other way, unless you need to change names of help files for some reason - then you'll also have to edit the .hpj files.
... See more
Leave the text marked with the # and + signs as it is.

Besides, check very carefully that the same text style as in the sourse file is used for double-underlined links. These are jumps to topics and the hiddent text defines the target topics.

The hiddent text should also have the same style as in the sourse but should not be modified in any other way, unless you need to change names of help files for some reason - then you'll also have to edit the .hpj files.

A couple of points worth noting:

There should be no spaces between the double-underlined text and the hidden text. Otherwise the jumps will not work correctly.

In case you want to translate all the footnotes in the file in one go after translating the rest of the text (for example, if you use a TM program) you can hange to the "Normal" page layout and select "View/Footnotes", then "All footnotes" in the dropbox.

Best regards,
Boris Popov

RTR wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:57
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 12, 2003

Thank you both so much for confirming this to me! I really appreciate it.

Best wishes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help RTF Files localization

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »