Has anyone ever been requested to work with a gettext file (.pot)?
Thread poster: CML
CML
CML  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
French to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2004

Has anyone ever been requested to work with a gettext file (the extension is .pot but has nothing to do with powerpoint). From my brief web research, this is an opensource program.

I was able to open it in Wordpad, but am not sure what needs translation.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Christina

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-11-02 06:32]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
German to English
+ ...
.po .pot files Nov 1, 2004

KBabel, a translation tool for these files, exists as standard software on Linux distributions. poEdit seems to be a cross-platform tool for editing them.

Have just downloaded and installed poEdit (as well as GTranslator, another Linux tool) and it does seem to be something of a translation tool - not just a plain editor.

[Edited at 2004-11-02 01:53]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try PoEdit Nov 2, 2004

CML wrote:
Has anyone ever been requested to work with a gettext file (the extension is .pot but has nothing to do with powerpoint). From my brief web research, this is an opensource program.

It is not a program. It is a file format. You can edit it using various tools, but I suggest PoEdit for Windows. In PoEdit the strings that need translating are extracted and presented. Read the PoEdit helpfile before starting on the translation, especially for the definition of a "fuzzy" translation.

I hate PO files. I prefer CSV (which can be translated in MS Excel using Wordfast). There are tools that can convert losslessly between PO and CSV, but they work in Linux and are hard to configure unless you know Linux well.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
German to English
+ ...
Further comments Nov 2, 2004

... work with a gettext file (the extension is .pot ...

My understanding is that 'gettext' is a/the tool used to extract the text which is to be translated from the computer program. This extracted text is then saved as .pot file which serves as the template which translators can load/download onto their computers.

... but am not sure what needs translation.

I think translations of the text strings between the quotes following 'msgid' need to be placed bet
... See more
... work with a gettext file (the extension is .pot ...

My understanding is that 'gettext' is a/the tool used to extract the text which is to be translated from the computer program. This extracted text is then saved as .pot file which serves as the template which translators can load/download onto their computers.

... but am not sure what needs translation.

I think translations of the text strings between the quotes following 'msgid' need to be placed between the quotes following 'msgstr'. KBabel, poEdit and GTranslator seem to facilitate this but presumably it is possible to do it just using a text editor such as Notepad. The file with the translation is supposed to be saved with a .po extension, and some information is generally required at the beginning of the file.

.pot files already in English are the only ones I have so far found "sitting on the web waiting for translation" - looking at these is therefore really all the "experience" I have.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone ever been requested to work with a gettext file (.pot)?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »