INDesignCS and Trados Plug-in Q
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 00:06
English to German
+ ...
Nov 5, 2004

Hi! I am confronted with reimpüorting a finished translation into InDesign using Trados Plug-in for InDesign CS. I am getting only the source back and sometimes only the grafik parts but not the translation. From your experience can you adv. me whether it is a trouble of Adobe InDesign or the Trados Plug-in CS. I must deliver this file very early. Now the translation is finished. To be on the safe side I have given the outsourcer all files, which is bilinguals, the TM, Trados plug-in ( since he... See more
Hi! I am confronted with reimpüorting a finished translation into InDesign using Trados Plug-in for InDesign CS. I am getting only the source back and sometimes only the grafik parts but not the translation. From your experience can you adv. me whether it is a trouble of Adobe InDesign or the Trados Plug-in CS. I must deliver this file very early. Now the translation is finished. To be on the safe side I have given the outsourcer all files, which is bilinguals, the TM, Trados plug-in ( since he says he is a master ): I could export the souce file with no trouble at all to tag-editor and do the translation, saved the work in target folder as target file, but the reimport is giving me the source file.What am I possibly doing wrong. I have read all the necessary help from the help system of Trados and InDesign.
I thank and appreciate all the helping hands.
Brandis
Collapse

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
Tipps / Adobe Indesign Nov 5, 2004

Hello Brandis,

some tips.

- are there tables of contents in your document?
- text threads (verkettete Textrahmen)?
- indexes?

Remove them and try an export and reimport again (use only copies of your files). If it works pretranslate the new source file your TM again and do the reimport.

Maybe it works...

Regards from Ger
... See more
Hello Brandis,

some tips.

- are there tables of contents in your document?
- text threads (verkettete Textrahmen)?
- indexes?

Remove them and try an export and reimport again (use only copies of your files). If it works pretranslate the new source file your TM again and do the reimport.

Maybe it works...

Regards from Germany
Wilhelm Polmann
http://www.ecm-engineering.de
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
further details Nov 6, 2004

Hello Wi_lee,

The file is about 480 MB size and has around 258 pages full of pictures and boxed texts etc.,. Do you mean I should remove the boxes, frames,grahic etc., and export only the text content? The translation is finished and the bilingual extension is .isc (a special format only for this purpose) there is also a .ttx file but it cannot be opened, because it is different than the .ttx files we know. When I open the .isc I see the bilingual text, and but when I clean the fil
... See more
Hello Wi_lee,

The file is about 480 MB size and has around 258 pages full of pictures and boxed texts etc.,. Do you mean I should remove the boxes, frames,grahic etc., and export only the text content? The translation is finished and the bilingual extension is .isc (a special format only for this purpose) there is also a .ttx file but it cannot be opened, because it is different than the .ttx files we know. When I open the .isc I see the bilingual text, and but when I clean the file I get only the source. Apparently reimporting the text is not a problem, but it is not the target file I am getting after the cleaning but the source.
Regards,
Brandis
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
.isc is not the bilingual file Nov 6, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Hello Wi_lee,

The file is about 480 MB size and has around 258 pages full of pictures and boxed texts etc.,. Do you mean I should remove the boxes, frames,grahic etc., and export only the text content? The translation is finished and the bilingual extension is .isc (a special format only for this purpose) there is also a .ttx file but it cannot be opened, because it is different than the .ttx files we know. When I open the .isc I see the bilingual text, and but when I clean the file I get only the source. Apparently reimporting the text is not a problem, but it is not the target file I am getting after the cleaning but the source.
Regards,
Brandis

.isc is not the bilingual file. You have to clean the bilingual .ttx files to create the translated .isc files. Then you have to import these translated .isc files.

I'm surprised you cannot open these .ttx files - if you have Story Collector for InDesign CS, your Trados version must be 6.5.5. Please check if you have the latest build, there were some TTX compatibility problems with one specific earlier build.

HTH,
Wojtek

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have the lastest Trados and CS Plug-in Nov 6, 2004

Hi I could find the solution finally. It is not the cleaning, instead you save the file under option Save the target as... in the TagEditor. Bingo the rest was magic. Thank you for all the help. Earlier I have tried to clean the file to reimport into InDesign, but the cleaning had detached the target and gave the source back. Infact I have downloaded the latest Trados Plug-in only lately from the trados website.
Rgds,
Brandis

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Wrong extensions Nov 8, 2004

Hello,

if the target isc files onatin both languages it is maybe the ttx file. Try to rename the target file to ttx and tray to open it in TagEditor.

Then save again as target isc file.

With kind regards

Hans

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved already Nov 8, 2004

DSC wrote:

Hello,

if the target isc files onatin both languages it is maybe the ttx file. Try to rename the target file to ttx and tray to open it in TagEditor.

Then save again as target isc file.

With kind regards

Hans
Hi! Thank you for the suggestion. Infact the .isd (InDesign Story collector) is an invisible .ttx, there is yet another .ttx which was creating trouble, it contained the graphic information and was not accessible. So I saved the bilingual under the option save target as... in Tag editor, and I didn´t need to do any .ttx cleaning. The Targetstories came in very neatly. Thank you once again.If you are interested I can comeby and show you, next time when I am around Ku´Damm .
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-11-08 10:00]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Illustrator plug-in could be improved Nov 11, 2004

Hello Wi_lee
Thank you for letting me download the IllustratorCS- Plug-in, during the installation I have the option to select the language interface, but after the selection it is still in German. I would appreciate much if there is a multilanguage edition.I am using using the English edition of Illustrator, InDesign. But the Plug-in as such is a great relaxation, I could filter the text content process in Trados and re-export to Illustrator. But the Plug-in does not support the Tageditor
... See more
Hello Wi_lee
Thank you for letting me download the IllustratorCS- Plug-in, during the installation I have the option to select the language interface, but after the selection it is still in German. I would appreciate much if there is a multilanguage edition.I am using using the English edition of Illustrator, InDesign. But the Plug-in as such is a great relaxation, I could filter the text content process in Trados and re-export to Illustrator. But the Plug-in does not support the Tageditor type of files. Shall take a check at that functionality.
Cheers,
Brandis
Collapse

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
Some Tips - (for Brandis) Nov 27, 2004

"Hello Wi_lee
Thank you for letting me download the IllustratorCS- Plug-in, during the installation I have the option to select the language interface, but after the selection it is still in German. I would appreciate much if there is a multilanguage edition.I am using using the English edition of Illustrator, InDesign. "

-------->
Changing user interface language settings from German to English or Spanish:
1. After installation close the activation screen [X]
... See more
"Hello Wi_lee
Thank you for letting me download the IllustratorCS- Plug-in, during the installation I have the option to select the language interface, but after the selection it is still in German. I would appreciate much if there is a multilanguage edition.I am using using the English edition of Illustrator, InDesign. "

-------->
Changing user interface language settings from German to English or Spanish:
1. After installation close the activation screen [X]
3. Click "Extras" --> "Sprachen" in the menu bar and choose --> "English" or "Español"
This setting will be retained after closing the program.

"But the Plug-in as such is a great relaxation, I could filter the text content process in Trados and re-export to Illustrator. But the Plug-in does not support the Tageditor type of files. Shall take a check at that functionality."

------->
To convert RTF-Files to TTX in Trados:
1. Menu "Options" --> Translation Memories
2. Table "Tools"
3. Activate checkbox "Save Workbench RTF as TradosStag"
---> After analysing your files, there will be TTX-files in the same folder.

More informations you can find in the manuals...

Cheers,
Wilhelm Polmann
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Wi-Lee Nov 28, 2004

Thank you for all the information. I have found it finally.
Regards, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

INDesignCS and Trados Plug-in Q

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »