Anyone use Passolo?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:45
German to English
Jul 23, 2002

A DE>EN localization job appeared today - when I contacted them they said I couldn\'t do it because I don\'t have Passolo? Has anyone heard of Passolo? Anyone use it?

http://www.passolo.com/site/us/home.htm

The agency has a not particularly positive Blue Board entry and my suspicious mind started working: could it be a refined marketing technique to get me to look at their web site
... See more
A DE>EN localization job appeared today - when I contacted them they said I couldn\'t do it because I don\'t have Passolo? Has anyone heard of Passolo? Anyone use it?

The agency has a not particularly positive Blue Board entry and my suspicious mind started working: could it be a refined marketing technique to get me to look at their web site/buy it to which I am now contributing?? What do you think?
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Rings a bell... Jul 23, 2002

Good morning,

The name Passolo rings a bell somehow (of course I\'m not awake enough this morning to figure out *which* bell!!!) -> it\'s a CAT if I remember well.

I just tried having a look at the website, but I cannot access it for some reason at the moment.

If they are the ones offering this localisation job, they could indeed, try to make you purchase their software in order to do
... See more
Good morning,

The name Passolo rings a bell somehow (of course I\'m not awake enough this morning to figure out *which* bell!!!) -> it\'s a CAT if I remember well.

I just tried having a look at the website, but I cannot access it for some reason at the moment.

If they are the ones offering this localisation job, they could indeed, try to make you purchase their software in order to do the job.

Anyone else has any ideas?

Nathalie
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:45
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
About Passolo Jul 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-23 11:30, gilln wrote:

The agency has a not particularly positive Blue Board entry and my ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-23 11:30, gilln wrote:

The agency has a not particularly positive Blue Board entry and my suspicious mind started working: could it be a refined marketing technique to get me to look at their web site/buy it to which I am now contributing?? What do you think?

Passolo is a well known localization tool used for software components (i.e. EXE and DLL files). It is similar to Corel Catalyst.

If the job offer (I didn\'t check it) specified that bidders must own Passolo and probably to be proficient in its use, then there is nothing to object.

If you are interested in doing this kind of localization jobs I suggest to consider buying the tool and practice with it, to be ready for software localization.

Gianfranco

Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 06:45
English to German
Passolo Jul 23, 2002

I am using Passolo for a few years now and it is the best tool, I have come along in quite some time. It is similar to Catalyst in concept, but (IMHO) a lot more user friendly, not too mention that it is roughly a third of the price for the functionality, I require versus Catalyst. Another very important feature is the interoperability with Trados through XML. From Passolo, the files are exported in XML format, translated with the Tag Editor, and then re-imported into Passolo. Afterwards you can... See more
I am using Passolo for a few years now and it is the best tool, I have come along in quite some time. It is similar to Catalyst in concept, but (IMHO) a lot more user friendly, not too mention that it is roughly a third of the price for the functionality, I require versus Catalyst. Another very important feature is the interoperability with Trados through XML. From Passolo, the files are exported in XML format, translated with the Tag Editor, and then re-imported into Passolo. Afterwards you can resize the dialogs in a WYSIWYG manner. While this in itself is already very good, it also allows the creation of files ready to be imported into MultiTerm, as well as translation memories, depending on the settings. All in all, it\'s (IMHO) way ahead of the competition. This goes up to version 3.5, because the new version 4.0 is not yet released and therefore I can not comment. However, a few months ago I did write a review for Multilingual Computing magazine on the tool, and I added a sample policy to provide the reader with an idea on how to use it. This policy is available under

http://www.multilingual.com/passolo/

HTH.

Uwe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone use Passolo?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »