Malaysia
Local time: 19:05
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
good stuff! May 14, 2022

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:
Hi Azman,

Thanks for your question. So far I am loving it. There was a brief period of adjustment to the new keyboard layout, but nothing serious. As someone said, the shortcuts in MemoQ can be manually assigned to suit your needs.

You sound very upbeat about this! Which is great.

To be fair, it is not exclusively Apple selling these no-upgrade laptops. I currently use Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th Gen. It was advertised as supporting up to 16GB RAM, but they offered both 8GB and 16GB models. If I had chosen 8GB model there would be no way to upgrade the RAM later myself, it is already soldered to the motherboard to save space and efficiency. But Lenovo does offer other laptop models and desktop PCs which are self upgradable. Same with other Windows hardware vendors.

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:05
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Somehow... May 14, 2022

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

There was a brief period of adjustment to the new keyboard layout, but nothing serious. As someone said, the shortcuts in MemoQ can be manually assigned to suit your needs.

Somehow, I managed to fail rearranging the shortcuts. Whatever I do, the default shortcuts prevail themselves ignoring my custom ones. Luckily, I am not using it so often as to be annoyed much by. If a customer had not recommended me not to miss the special discount, I wouldn't have bought the license.

Also, the icons look so tiny on a Parallels/Windows (M1) setup that I have to use the screen magnifier to get a better look to click on them. And there is no solution to it.

[Edited at 2022-05-14 15:44 GMT]

Lisa Schuchardt
Lisa Schuchardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:05
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
The screenshot shows a model with Touch Bar. May 14, 2022

Azman Salleh wrote:

Lisa Schuchardt wrote:
Hi, Azman!
1) I used Windows around 20 years ago, so I don't know much about the key layout. But shortcuts are just a habit. For example, you'll press fn + F2 to edit the source and control + H to find and replace text. If the default one isn't for you, you can also add your custom layout.

Hey Lisa, thanks for chiming in!
I've never owned a Mac, but pictures of Macbook Pro on Apple's website shows no F1-F12 like on my Thinkpad.
Or did you mean "fn + 2" for F2?
My concern was whatever keystroke we send will be captured by macOS itself (instead of by MemoQ within Parallel program) and interpreted differently (by Mac, instead of by MemoQ). Anyway if the keystroke works for you, I guess no problem then.
macbook pro keyboard x1 keyboard the verge

And 200GB of space with stuffs sounds fair!

I may sound like a salesperson, but I love working with Apple products. The ecosystem just performs.
Have a lovely weekend!

Haha sounds like you deserve to say so. I may need to save up for a few more months if this looks promising. cheers!

The one on your screenshot is a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar. Before my current M1 MacBook, I had one with a Touch Bar, and to be honest, I rarely used it (it could run Pac-Man and Doom, though!). As far as I know, only the 13" models still have it, and it wouldn't surprise me if they discontinue it. I guess it caters more to people doing image, video, and sound editing.

As to the pricing, yeah, it's hefty, but they support their devices for years. I don't know if this option is available in your country, but here in Germany, Apple offers a 0% leasing for businesses.

This website is also pretty nice: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Azman Salleh

Azman Salleh
Azman Salleh  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
issues....ok. May 14, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:

Somehow, I managed to fail rearranging the shortcuts. Whatever I did, the default shortcuts prevail themselves ignoring my custom ones. Luckily, I am not using it so often as to be annoyed much by. If a customer had not recommended me not to miss the special discount, I wouldn't have bought the license.

Also, the icons look so tiny on a Parallels/Windows (M1) setup that I have to use the screen magnifier to get a better look to click on them. And there is no solution to it.

Good to know if there are issues.

Tiny icons. Do you mean MemoQ toolbar like this:?
memoQ 2022-05-14 23_42_29-memoQ - Australia

Azman Salleh
Malaysia
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
yeah 14" model has Fn May 14, 2022

Lisa Schuchardt wrote:
The one on your screenshot is a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar. Before my current M1 MacBook, I had one with a Touch Bar, and to be honest, I rarely used it (it could run Pac-Man and Doom, though!). As far as I know, only the 13" models still have it, and it wouldn't surprise me if they discontinue it. I guess it caters more to people doing image, video, and sound editing.

As to the pricing, yeah, it's hefty, but they support their devices for years. I don't know if this option is available in your country, but here in Germany, Apple offers a 0% leasing for businesses.

This website is also pretty nice: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Yeah, I went back and looked at the 14" model there are function keys. Thanks for pointing it out.
Pacman (:

Metin Demirel
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Sorry, I misspoke May 14, 2022

Azman Salleh wrote:

Metin Demirel wrote:

Somehow, I managed to fail rearranging the shortcuts. Whatever I did, the default shortcuts prevail themselves ignoring my custom ones. Luckily, I am not using it so often as to be annoyed much by. If a customer had not recommended me not to miss the special discount, I wouldn't have bought the license.

Good to know if there are issues.

Tiny icons. Do you mean MemoQ toolbar like this:?
memoQ 2022-05-14 23_42_29-memoQ - Australia

I was referring to the window button-icons. I had asked for help on this forum before, but it seems there no solution to it.

https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/356261-memoq_icons_too_small.html

Azman Salleh
Malaysia
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
resolution? May 14, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:

I was referring to the window button-icons. I had asked for help on this forum before, but it seems there no solution to it.

I recall having some issue like this with either my PC or laptop many many years ago, which shipped with some out of ordinary screen resolution. Nothing to do with MemoQ though. I think I had set the resolution to a more popular size (sorry I can't remember details), thus wasting the advantage of that special resolution.

Metin Demirel

Lisa Schuchardt
Lisa Schuchardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:05
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Replied to your thread May 14, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:

I've added a solution to your thread. Maybe it helps. Fingers crossed.

Metin Demirel
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
It worked! May 14, 2022

Lisa Schuchardt wrote:

Metin Demirel wrote:

I've added a solution to your thread. Maybe it helps. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes you do May 14, 2022

Lisa Schuchardt wrote:

I may sound like a salesperson, but I love working with Apple products. The ecosystem just performs.

I think you are must indeed be either a salesperson or one of those credulous Apple fanbois who stand all night outside the Apple Store when something new comes out, so that you can be the first to have it. Or maybe you haven't been using Macs long enough to have adopted a healthy, critical attitude. I have been a Mac user since 1995 including the very bad period when Steve Jobs left. When Jobs came back and moved the whole OS over to a Unix platform, launched the first iMac, and a whole lot of other things, Apple had a good period. But since Jobs died and that other guy took over, I don't think Apple cares very much about computers any more and in terms of technology is just cruising along on what the OS achieved whenJobs designed it. I still think the Mac OS is great but there are things about it I hate and Apple has made some bad mistakes in recent years by trying to introduce gimmicks to try and make a fully mature operating system seem "new" all the time. Plus really stupid things like the "touch bar" - now quietly discontinued because it was a PITA and the F keys disappeared. How dumb was that? Apple is far more interested in the iPhone, ApplePay, AppleTV and all those other things that make it a profit-driven behemoth. They just keep trying to add new bells and whistles to Macs to try and keep them seeming "new" including the M1 chip, which is nothing more than a great way to entice people into buying a new computer and (when they discontinue Rosetta like they did before) having to buy new versions of all their applications. I've tried not to sound like a salesperson.

[Edited at 2022-05-14 20:26 GMT]

Metin Demirel
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
I beg to differ May 14, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

They just keep trying to add new bells and whistles to Macs to try and keep them seeming "new" including the M1 chip, which is nothing more than a great way to entice people into buying a new computer and (when they discontinue Rosetta like they did before) having to buy new versions of all their applications. I've tried not to sound like a salesperson.

M1 is a rare thing happened in the computer history. Well, it delivers double the performance using 25% of the battery and hardly ever activating the fans, which more expensive computers cannot achieve, so most reviewers see it as revolutionary.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Unclear what Microsoft will decide May 15, 2022

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

Or should I wait until the officially supported Win release?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Great day, y'all! 😁

Microsoft hasn’t made an official statement about whether they will allow running Windows running on M1. VMware reached out to them but is still waiting for an answer.

So I’d wait or use a CAT tool that runs on an M1.

Azman Salleh
Malaysia
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
parallel May 15, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Microsoft hasn’t made an official statement about whether they will allow running Windows running on M1. VMware reached out to them but is still waiting for an answer.

So I’d wait or use a CAT tool that runs on an M1.

Why VMware? Did you mean *Parallel* reached out...?
Which brings back the issue of Windows Insider program, do we know ahead of time when to renew? I read that they terminated registration for Windows 10 Insider then users had to register for Windows 11 Insider Program and install (upgrade to?) Windows 11

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nope May 15, 2022

Azman Salleh wrote:

Why VMware? Did you mean *Parallel* reached out...?
Which brings back the issue of Windows Insider program, do we know ahead of time when to renew? I read that they terminated registration for Windows 10 Insider then users had to register for Windows 11 Insider Program and install (upgrade to?) Windows 11

I actually meant VMware.

Here's their statement about Windows ARM:

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2021/04/fusion-on-apple-silicon-progress-update.html

That Parallels just went ahead, is another matter.

Azman Salleh

Dmitry Zaikin
Dmitry Zaikin
Uruguay
Local time: 08:05
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree to disagree Jul 6, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Lisa Schuchardt wrote:

I think you are must indeed be either a salesperson or one of those credulous Apple fanbois who stand all night outside the Apple Store when something new comes out, so that you can be the first to have it. Or maybe you haven't been using Macs long enough to have adopted a healthy, critical attitude. I have been a Mac user since 1995 including the very bad period...

[Edited at 2022-05-14 20:26 GMT]

Hi Tom,

I'd like to put in my proverbial two cents. There is a reason why I - a lifelong Windows user - switched to Mac at this particular point in time. The M1 chip is truly revolutionary. I used to spend hundreds of dollars to make my PC as silent as possible, since hearing the fan noise all day long drives me nuts, and wearing headphones while working all day simply hurts my ears.

And I've had a fair share of Intel and AMD-based laptops over the years. They are HOT. They throttle. Their fans are loud as hell. And if you keep them somewhat cool, the performance is mediocre at best. Did I mention the weight? Yeah, it's heavy - toting the extra 5-6 pounds around in your backpack, plus the charger (which is usually a brick but is necessary as the battery life is so short), plus the mouse (I haven't found a single comfortable touchpad). If you're like me and you love to travel and freelance in various locations, including sunny beaches, you are sure to appreciate the completely fanless and silent operation of this tiny powerhouse with a battery that literally lasts ALL day on a single charge.

Windows is also far from perfect as an OS. But for me it's a work machine, a tool to make money. If I want customization, Linux is the way to go I suppose. But I don't care enough for all these things. What I do care about though is the seamless integration of Apple tech with each other. The way my AirPods switch from the phone to the MacBook completely automatically. The way the MacBook recognizes the phone as an Internet source right away, which is priceless when you're somewhere out in nature with no Wi-Fi connectivity. I don't ever use a mouse now because the touchpad is a piece of genius technology. When all is said and done, this 2-pound machine satisfies all my needs and then some, and it does it better than anything I've seen so far. Sure, I can only speak for myself. But then I started this thread to find out if it would meet my particular needs, right?

Metin Demirel
Petar Zivanic
Lisa Schuchardt

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MemoQ on the new M1 MacBook - experience qestion

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »