Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Using MemoQ on the new M1 MacBook - experience qestion
Thread poster: Dmitry Zaikin
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
You can't NOT use a mouse with MemoQ Jul 8, 2022

Well, you can, but only if you want to sacrifice 30-50% of your efficiency.

MemoQ pretty much requires a mouse with 5+ additional programmable buttons

You need mouse hotkeys for at least:
Confirm segment
Backspace
Space
Comma
Period

It saves a ridiculous amount of time.

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Lisa Schuchardt wrote:

I may sound like a salesperson, but I love working with Apple products. The ecosystem just performs.

I think you are must indeed be either a salesperson or one of those credulous Apple fanbois who stand all night outside the Apple Store when something new comes out, so that you can be the first to have it. Or maybe you haven't been using Macs long enough to have adopted a healthy, critical attitude. I have been a Mac user since 1995 including the very bad period...

[Edited at 2022-05-14 20:26 GMT]

Hi Tom,

I'd like to put in my proverbial two cents. There is a reason why I - a lifelong Windows user - switched to Mac at this particular point in time. The M1 chip is truly revolutionary. I used to spend hundreds of dollars to make my PC as silent as possible, since hearing the fan noise all day long drives me nuts, and wearing headphones while working all day simply hurts my ears.

And I've had a fair share of Intel and AMD-based laptops over the years. They are HOT. They throttle. Their fans are loud as hell. And if you keep them somewhat cool, the performance is mediocre at best. Did I mention the weight? Yeah, it's heavy - toting the extra 5-6 pounds around in your backpack, plus the charger (which is usually a brick but is necessary as the battery life is so short), plus the mouse (I haven't found a single comfortable touchpad). If you're like me and you love to travel and freelance in various locations, including sunny beaches, you are sure to appreciate the completely fanless and silent operation of this tiny powerhouse with a battery that literally lasts ALL day on a single charge.

Windows is also far from perfect as an OS. But for me it's a work machine, a tool to make money. If I want customization, Linux is the way to go I suppose. But I don't care enough for all these things. What I do care about though is the seamless integration of Apple tech with each other. The way my AirPods switch from the phone to the MacBook completely automatically. The way the MacBook recognizes the phone as an Internet source right away, which is priceless when you're somewhere out in nature with no Wi-Fi connectivity. I don't ever use a mouse now because the touchpad is a piece of genius technology. When all is said and done, this 2-pound machine satisfies all my needs and then some, and it does it better than anything I've seen so far. Sure, I can only speak for myself. But then I started this thread to find out if it would meet my particular needs, right?

Azman Salleh
Azman Salleh  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 15:17
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
Got my macbook. All is well! Jul 25, 2022

Hey all,
I've been up and running with my new Macbook Pro 14" for 2 weeks now! Excellent experience so far. It is still awkward since I've owned Windows for so many years, many things are inopposite directions, keyboard layout is a bit off. But I forced myself to learn new ways even when rushing for multiple deadlines. Kept sending wrong keystrokes Ctrl-C instead of Command-c etc. haha.

It is an expensive change but not bad outcome. Parallels was a bit deceptive with their ad
... See more
Hey all,
I've been up and running with my new Macbook Pro 14" for 2 weeks now! Excellent experience so far. It is still awkward since I've owned Windows for so many years, many things are inopposite directions, keyboard layout is a bit off. But I forced myself to learn new ways even when rushing for multiple deadlines. Kept sending wrong keystrokes Ctrl-C instead of Command-c etc. haha.

It is an expensive change but not bad outcome. Parallels was a bit deceptive with their advertised price but the VM runs well. I installed Windows 11, Office and MemoQ 8.6 on it and working in coherent mode is seamless! And like somebody replied here the keystrokes work as expected, and I can share files/clipboard between Mac/Windows.

Azman
Collapse

Azman Salleh
Azman Salleh  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 15:17
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
VMware Tech Preview Windows 11 on M1 Aug 1, 2022

I just noticed this today. It is free for now, but formal support coming end of this year.
https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2022/07/just-released-vmware-fusion-22h2-tech-preview.html

I already paid for Parallel license so this news doesn't apply to me, however hopefully this is a sign that formal support from Microsoft for Windows on M1 will come soon.

Hans Lenting wrote:

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

Or should I wait until the officially supported Win release?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Great day, y'all! 😁

Microsoft hasn’t made an official statement about whether they will allow running Windows running on M1. VMware reached out to them but is still waiting for an answer.

So I’d wait or use a CAT tool that runs on an M1.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MemoQ on the new M1 MacBook - experience qestion

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »