Freelancer invoicing from UK to Spain, post Brexit, not VAT registered
Thread poster: Comunican
Jane Martin
Jane Martin  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Explanatory note Aug 31, 2021

On my invoices to Spain - following IVA/VAT difficulties - I now put this paragraph at the bottom:

Factura exenta de IVA en aplicación de artículo 196 de la Directiva 2006/112/CE. Este servicio está sujeto a la inversión del sujeto pasivo del IVA.
Yo certifico que no tengo número del IVA según los artículos 214.2 y 272.1 y la letra d de la Directiva 2006/112/CE.
Legislación nacional aplicable (reino unido): Aviso HMRC 700 / 1 (abril 2010) Sección 2 y siguientes
... See more
On my invoices to Spain - following IVA/VAT difficulties - I now put this paragraph at the bottom:

Factura exenta de IVA en aplicación de artículo 196 de la Directiva 2006/112/CE. Este servicio está sujeto a la inversión del sujeto pasivo del IVA.
Yo certifico que no tengo número del IVA según los artículos 214.2 y 272.1 y la letra d de la Directiva 2006/112/CE.
Legislación nacional aplicable (reino unido): Aviso HMRC 700 / 1 (abril 2010) Sección 2 y siguientes

And it seems to work. I am occasionally asked for a certificate of fiscal residence which the Tax Office will supply you with. And like Tom I put my UTR as well.
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:45
German to English
Your comment misleading Sep 1, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

The client's tax and VAT arrangements in their country are not relevant and have no effect on the translator. The translator is only answerable to the tax authorities in her/his own country (i.e. the country in which the service was provided and where the invoice was issued) and must follow the tax rules that apply in that country - not those of any other jurisdiction.

[Edited at 2021-08-27 07:50 GMT]

How very wrong you are! "The translator" is certainly answerable to the tax authorities in the country of residence of the client if the client is resident in the EU and not registered for VAT. This will always be the case if the client is a private individual (retail client) or a government agency to which VAT must be charged. This is the outcome of the revised VAT Directive that came into effect on 1 July 2021.

But exporters have always had to follow tax rules in the country to which they're exporting, as well as those of their home country - it goes with the territory. The difference is that this now applies to service providers as well.

That's why I registered for EU VAT with the Irish Revenue because I have to charge VAT under the new rules to a client in Germany. There's no way round it, and failure to register for and pay VAT is simply tax fraud. These new rules apply to every service provider located outside the EU, which now includes UK-based translators. Another great success for Brexit.

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thankfully Sep 1, 2021

Thankfully I am not VAT-registered, so frankly I couldn't care less about you scolding me for being "wrong" (although I'm not). I won't be back to this thread, so feel free to keep on being rude to me. I won't know about it.

[Edited at 2021-09-01 10:24 GMT]

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 1, 2021

Jane Martin wrote:

And it seems to work. I am occasionally asked for a certificate of fiscal residence which the Tax Office will supply you with. And like Tom I put my UTR as well.

Many thanks Jane Martin, that is very kind of you to share all that.

Can I ask please: where did you get that text in Spanish from?

And also, do you not have qualms about sharing your UTR (which I believe is private and confidential between you and the Inland Revenue) with your translation agencies?

Would appreciate your further comments.

Many thanks.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer invoicing from UK to Spain, post Brexit, not VAT registered

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »