Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2021

I live in the UK and until now have been invoicing my Spanish agencies through a UK company.

My invoices state the company's registered Companies House number and, because the company is not VAT registered, I explain this on the invoices.

However, I now want to stop invoicing through the company and invoice as an individual freelancer and I'm especially interested in the rules post-Brexit.

As others have noted, the UK government website is of almost no he
... See more
I live in the UK and until now have been invoicing my Spanish agencies through a UK company.

My invoices state the company's registered Companies House number and, because the company is not VAT registered, I explain this on the invoices.

However, I now want to stop invoicing through the company and invoice as an individual freelancer and I'm especially interested in the rules post-Brexit.

As others have noted, the UK government website is of almost no help. I don't especially want to raise the issue with my agencies as it has tended to become complicated when their accountants get involved (!). And other forum questions on this issue that I've found focus mostly on VAT issues.

So I'm asking if anyone knows what information I actually need to provide when invoicing as a freelance UK taxpayer who is under the VAT threshold...?

I will need to explain/justify this in order to satisfy my agencies' accountants, so any references or guidance on such explanation would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED Aug 26, 2021

Sample invoice (to Italy but the same applies to all other EU Member States). I regularly issue invoices exactly like this.

Screen Shot

[Edited at 2021-08-26 11:34 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
Nothing special needed... Aug 26, 2021

... at least I hope so. But I've been submitting invoices this way to my Dutch clients for years. After Brexit, I've heard nothing back from the tax office or my accountant about needing to change it. I am a sole-trader, and I don't pay VAT.
sample invoice

[Edited at 2021-08-26 11:58 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, thank you! Aug 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Sample invoice (to Italy but the same applies to all other EU Member States). I regularly issue invoices exactly like this.

Screen Shot

[Edited at 2021-08-26 11:34 GMT]

That's great, thanks very much Tom in London

[Edited at 2021-08-26 12:08 GMT]

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Aug 26, 2021

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:

... at least I hope so. But I've been submitting invoices this way to my Dutch clients for years. After Brexit, I've heard nothing back from the tax office or my accountant about needing to change it. I am a sole-trader, and I don't pay VAT.
sample invoice

[Edited at 2021-08-26 11:58 GMT]

Thank you very much Hayley - much appreciated.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
German to English
Tom's solution should work Aug 26, 2021

Tom's solution should work fine, as long as the client is registered for VAT in the EU member state.

The situation gets (much) more complicated if the client is not registered for VAT. This affects mainly retail clients, but also any public agencies or authorities that are not themselves registered for VAT, but to which VAT must be charged by service providers.

Robin

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not relevant Aug 27, 2021

RobinB wrote:

Tom's solution should work fine, as long as the client is registered for VAT in the EU member state.

The situation gets (much) more complicated if the client is not registered for VAT. This affects mainly retail clients, but also any public agencies or authorities that are not themselves registered for VAT, but to which VAT must be charged by service providers.

Robin

The client's tax and VAT arrangements in their country are not relevant and have no effect on the translator. The translator is only answerable to the tax authorities in her/his own country (i.e. the country in which the service was provided and where the invoice was issued) and must follow the tax rules that apply in that country - not those of any other jurisdiction.

[Edited at 2021-08-27 07:50 GMT]

Robert Such

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The client's tax and VAT arrangements are not necessarily irrelevant Aug 27, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

The client's tax and VAT arrangements in their country are not relevant and have no effect on the translator. The translator is only answerable to the tax authorities in her/his own country (i.e. the country in which the service was provided and where the invoice was issued) and must follow the tax rules that apply in that country - not those of any other jurisdiction.

This has not been my experience, unfortunately. I've had problems in the past with invoicing Spanish agencies because IVA (Spanish VAT) applies in all cases. And, therefore, they have wanted the reassurance that VAT doesn't apply to me. The company name and number seemed to satisfy this. Hence my concern about now wanting to start to invoice as an individual - with the added implication of it now being after Brexit.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Notorious Aug 27, 2021

Comunican wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

This has not been my experience, unfortunately. I've had problems in the past with invoicing Spanish agencies because IVA (Spanish VAT) applies in all cases. And, therefore, they have wanted the reassurance that VAT doesn't apply to me. The company name and number seemed to satisfy this. Hence my concern about now wanting to start to invoice as an individual - with the added implication of it now being after Brexit.

Yes - Spanish accountants are notorious for not understanding that UK tax rules have got nothing to do with Spain, and vice-versa.

Personally though, I've worked for a number of Spanish clients and this has never come up.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad to hear it's not just me who thinks this! Aug 27, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Spanish accountants are notorious for not understanding that UK tax rules have got nothing to do with Spain, and vice-versa.

Tom in London

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Tax ID number required" Aug 30, 2021

As predicted, Spanish agencies are harder to satisfy than others. And, having lived in Spain, it is my experience that if they can possibly add a layer of unnecessary or intrusive bureaucracy, they usually will!

So, now one of my agencies there has said that I would need to state my tax ID number on my invoice.

I'm not sure what that actually means. Though I did read in another post on a related topic that someone used their UTR (unique tax reference) number. But surely
... See more
As predicted, Spanish agencies are harder to satisfy than others. And, having lived in Spain, it is my experience that if they can possibly add a layer of unnecessary or intrusive bureaucracy, they usually will!

So, now one of my agencies there has said that I would need to state my tax ID number on my invoice.

I'm not sure what that actually means. Though I did read in another post on a related topic that someone used their UTR (unique tax reference) number. But surely that is confidential to me??

Maybe I should use my NI (national insurance) number?

Any thoughts please?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Use the UTR Aug 30, 2021

Just put your UTR below your name, on the invoice.

I've found that this keeps people happy.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, thanks, but isn't my UTR confidential? Aug 30, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

OK, thanks Tom, but isn't my UTR confidential?

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just found this about NOT giving your UTR Aug 30, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

https://debitoor.com/blog/should-i-put-my-utr-on-invoices

Jane Martin

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Aug 30, 2021

Comunican wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

OK, thanks Tom, but isn't my UTR confidential?

I don't think so- but your National Insurance Number certainly is !

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer invoicing from UK to Spain, post Brexit, not VAT registered

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »