ناشر الموضوع: Elke Fehling
Elke Fehling
Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Nov 15, 2004

I usually immedially install most Windows XP system updates as soon as my computer tells me so.

With Service Pack 2 I didn't do so because I heard rumors that it caused problems with several applications, especially Trados.

I have been out of the country and away from my computer now for almost 4 weeks, are there any new developments? Is it "safe" to install Service Pack 2 now?

Thank you very much for your help!

Elke

Ballistic
Ballistic  Identity Verified
بلجيكا
أنجليزي إلى هولندي
+ ...
Beware! Nov 15, 2004

I have suffered two crashes of my Win XP Pro platform in less than two weeks. My supplier told me there is a 90% possibility that it can be attributed to SP2. The malfunction (PC refused to boot) did not occur immediately after the SP2 installation, however. Only about a fortnight later did the malfunction occur. When I talk to my colleagues/customers about this problem, they all tell me that they have experienced something similar.

It is highly unlikely that the system malfunction
... See more
I have suffered two crashes of my Win XP Pro platform in less than two weeks. My supplier told me there is a 90% possibility that it can be attributed to SP2. The malfunction (PC refused to boot) did not occur immediately after the SP2 installation, however. Only about a fortnight later did the malfunction occur. When I talk to my colleagues/customers about this problem, they all tell me that they have experienced something similar.

It is highly unlikely that the system malfunction was caused by a virus of some sort. I use encryption for my wireless network, norton anti-virus and firewall (at the highest setting). I regularly run a virusscan.

My advice to you is: do not install SP2! Never change a winning team.

I am now seriously considering switching to Apple. But I'm not sure Trados will work under VirtualPC.

All the best and take daily backups of your important files. Microsoft is not to be trusted.
Collapse

Michael Hesselnberg (X)
Michael Hesselnberg (X)  Identity Verified
فرنسي إلى ألماني
+ ...
I installed SP 2 Nov 15, 2004

und ich habe es noch nicht bereut, die Popups und alle ndren lästigen Spams sind bloquiert, que demander de plus ?

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
إيطاليا
عضو (2002)
أنجليزي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
I installed it - no problems Nov 16, 2004

I installed my SP2 without problems. However migh take into account that SP2 was released and installed just a few weeks after I bought my PC, hence register and hd were still relatively clean.

My impression is that all the extra shield and protection on mailer and browser is barely needed: if you know how to take care of your attachments, browser settings, fireall and AV (which you still should know even if you have SP2) you can spare the hassle of all the extra warnnings and of di
... See more
I installed my SP2 without problems. However migh take into account that SP2 was released and installed just a few weeks after I bought my PC, hence register and hd were still relatively clean.

My impression is that all the extra shield and protection on mailer and browser is barely needed: if you know how to take care of your attachments, browser settings, fireall and AV (which you still should know even if you have SP2) you can spare the hassle of all the extra warnnings and of disabling features aimed at not permitting to open attachments the way you like...

Yet, I like the idea that autoupdating is on, and I am not required to take decisions and read instructions about patches every five minutes.

[Edited at 2004-11-16 02:33]
Collapse

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 19:47
أنجليزي
All ok here Nov 16, 2004

I have installed SP2 on 6 computers so far, without any problems.

3 of those are running Trados 6.5 LSP without any problems.
1 of those is running Trados 6.5 Freelance without any problems.
All of them are running Office 2003 without any problems.

The new Internet Connection Firewall works more like Norton Internet Security, and IE now has a half-reasonable pop-up blocker built in.

The problem with PC's is that they are so customizable and no t
... See more
I have installed SP2 on 6 computers so far, without any problems.

3 of those are running Trados 6.5 LSP without any problems.
1 of those is running Trados 6.5 Freelance without any problems.
All of them are running Office 2003 without any problems.

The new Internet Connection Firewall works more like Norton Internet Security, and IE now has a half-reasonable pop-up blocker built in.

The problem with PC's is that they are so customizable and no two machines are alike. This means there are no guarantees that what works for one will work for another. If you are unsure, would you ever forgive yourself if it went wrong?

The ideal 'insurance' against problems would be to 'Ghost' a complete drive image onto another HD so that it can be copied back exactly as it was should a catastrophy occur.

I guess you were hoping to be convinced one way or the other whether to install SP2, sorry for ultimately sitting on the fence.

"Don't try to fix what you can't afford to replace." are wise words when it comes to other people's livelyhoods.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP - Service Pack 2

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »