Poll: Have you ever participated in a ProZ Translation Contest?
Penulis thread: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
STAF SITUS
Oct 3

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever participated in a ProZ Translation Contest?".

View the poll results »



 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugis
Local time: 14:11
Anggota sejak (2007)
Inggris ke Portugis
+ ...
A few times Oct 3

I was rather keen on them and took part in several between 2008 and 2014 (won some). By then, I considered these contests both entertaining and challenging but, after a while, I felt that they were very poorly designed. One of the flaws is that each competitor is allowed to judge the other competitors. Are we really so impartial to be fair to other people’s entries? Then, to top it up, there was... See more
I was rather keen on them and took part in several between 2008 and 2014 (won some). By then, I considered these contests both entertaining and challenging but, after a while, I felt that they were very poorly designed. One of the flaws is that each competitor is allowed to judge the other competitors. Are we really so impartial to be fair to other people’s entries? Then, to top it up, there was an infamous one (http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/277633-translation_contest_celebrations_congratulations_to_the_first_round_of_winners.html) where it took several years to announce the winners. So, I stopped participating... ▲ Collapse


 
Daryo
Daryo
Local time: 14:11
Serbia ke Inggris
+ ...
I did 11:54

I did participate in few.

The one with Yogi Berra quotes was great fun.

But the last one I took a close look at put me off for good.

It's all here:

Daryo wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I assume it’ll turn into a post-editing or GPT clean-up contest.


Nothing new there ... already happened, years ago.

see

I lost all interest in translation contests few years ago, when I spotted an entry - a "translation into Serbian" - that was blatantly done by someone who doesn't know the first thing about the Serbian language but used some MT instead, and nothing was done to remove it.

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/364369-non_transparent_contest_rules_and_illogical_winner_determination-page2.html#:~:text=Could%20do%20all,to%20remove%20it.

and

If it was in the Proz contest, there is actually one fictional profile (GoTrans) that Proz uses to make MT entries (this was explained during the last Translation Day event).
It's a sort of gimmick which is there since quite some time to track I suppose the progress of machine translation.
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/364369-non_transparent_contest_rules_and_illogical_winner_determination-page2.html#:~:text=Could%20do%20all,to%20remove%20it.

and

creating fictional profiles that other contest participants have no ways of knowing are fictional ought to be against some rule - especially given that it was NEVER announced in any translation contest rule that MT posing as a fictional profile will be a participant. It didn't "let me down", I simply decided I have better use of my time than to be a free tester for MT:.
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/364369-non_transparent_contest_rules_and_illogical_winner_determination-page2.html#:~:text=creating%20fictional%20profiles,tester%20for%20MT.



I STILL can't see anything in the rules that would prohibit a bot from 'contributing' with some raw AI output, nor humans from submitting barely corrected or raw AI output as 'their work' (even from or into languages they know nothing about!)

I guess it all depends on how you define 'original work' ...

1. Entries must be original works. Reuse or referencing of existing (ex. published) translations, in whole or in part, is prohibited and leads to disqualification. It is possible to work with one other person, but that person must be included as a partner when the entry is submitted.

https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/rules#:~:text=1.,entry%20is%20submitted.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

(Para) moderator forum ini
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever participated in a ProZ Translation Contest?






Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
PerfectIt
Check translations faster for consistency, quality and style guide compliance

PerfectIt helps professional translators deliver error-free documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. It helps improve consistency, ensure quality, and enforce style guides. ProZ members receive a 30% discount off individual purchases of PerfectIt.

More info »