Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Turkey blocks Google services

This discussion belongs to Translation news » " Turkey blocks Google services".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Kenan Atalay
Kenan Atalay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
not entirely Jun 6, 2010

They banned youtube. AFAIK Google changed its IP address blocks for some of its services recently and those services are now in the same IP range of youtube. So they are being banned too because of youtube's ban.

BTW most importantly google analytics is one of those banned services and it's crippling e-commerce.

[Edited at 2010-06-06 23:31 GMT]

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
a question Jun 7, 2010

I am just interested
What kind of info do you get when you try to open www.google.com? Page not found??

Pera-Tercüme
Pera-Tercüme
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Google search works fine Jun 7, 2010

However we've been unable to use Google translate for several days now... It just doesn't load.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Good News Jun 7, 2010

Pera-Tercüme wrote:

However we've been unable to use Google translate for several days now... It just doesn't load.

Well, this is good news for the translators

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome! Jun 7, 2010

I thought only we had the privilege to get banned! Isn't Turkey a free nation? Will this affect Turkey's quest to join the EU?

In China, Youtube, Picassa, Facebook, blogger, Twitter, Friendfeed... (the list goes on and on...) and believe it or not, proz.com kudoz is also blocked!

Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:57
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Amazing what the world has become... Jun 7, 2010

How do you know, for example in China, that a website is banned due to country policies and not just that there is a problem with the website?

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
VPN? Jun 7, 2010

Is it possible to get around this using a commercial VPN with a tunnel to a "free" country?
Right here in Belize, the country's monopolist ISP Belize Telemedia blocks VoIP-applications like Skype, but with a VPN, it mostly works just fine.

But in fact: What kind of a world is that where you have to look foor loopholes like this?

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:57
English to Polish
+ ...
can't believe it. Jun 7, 2010

Has the Turkish government decided to commit political suicide?

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Libya Jun 7, 2010

Karletto wrote:

I am just interested
What kind of info do you get when you try to open www.google.com? Page not found??

I don't know about Turkey, but I know from experience that five years ago (and this is probably still true today) if you entered "www.google.com" into the address bar in Libya, you were automatically directed to:

http://www.google.com.ly/

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A violation of human rights Jun 7, 2010

Kjersti Farrier wrote:
How do you know, for example in China, that a website is banned due to country policies and not just that there is a problem with the website?

This is a very bland way of saying "restriction of the right to information".

This is Article 19 of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More votes now! Jun 7, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:
Has the Turkish government decided to commit political suicide?

On the contrary. They might receive more votes now from the people who elected them!

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Surprised Jun 7, 2010

I am surprised that Turkey has banned Youtube. I have visited Turkey several times and always believed it to be a free and democratic country.

l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:57
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
Regarding the use of VPNs Jun 7, 2010

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Is it possible to get around this using a commercial VPN with a tunnel to a "free" country?
Right here in Belize, the country's monopolist ISP Belize Telemedia blocks VoIP-applications like Skype, but with a VPN, it mostly works just fine.

But in fact: What kind of a world is that where you have to look foor loopholes like this?

I bet that using a commercial VPN would do the work (unless the block the port used for the VPN), otherwise, there is no way to stop VPN users from requesting any content. (VPN communication is encrypted between client and gateway and they happen in only one port).

My question is, if the government blocks a range of IPs, wouldn't be illegal to use a VPN (or any other thing) to access those banned IPs? What happen if the government detect that? Is that something they actually care about? or they just block IPs but don't care if someone bypass it?

Best,
Gastón

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:27
German to English
North Korea Jun 7, 2010

According to a BBC documentary, the government in North Korea actually selects specific items and articles from the Internet and puts them on their own Intra-net for people in that country to view. They don't have access to the World Wide Web at all.

When the BBC reporter asked some North Korean school children which world politicians they admired most, they answered Stalin and Mao. I suppose that's the consequence of so much censorship!

[Edited at 2010-06-07 15:17 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
This at least tells us... Jun 7, 2010

that the Internet is not "a different place" or "a virtual world" as some would like to (make us) believe it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turkey blocks Google services

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »