Vietnamese fishermen in Gulf fight to not get lost in translation

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Vietnamese fishermen in Gulf fight to not get lost in translation".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Communist terminology Jun 25, 2010

Of course, I believe this as I'm a Vietnamese native speaker. The reds use very heavy language - similar to political / legal terms even when they are use these terms in a another context, e.g. marketing. They have distorted the terms beyond recognition and even the spelling is awful, e.g. mixing up "i" and "y".

Trinh Do
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Availability to translate free of charge for members of the Vietnamese fisherman community in Louisi Jun 26, 2010

Dear RominaZ,

With regard to the situaition in Louisiana, I am more than happy to translate for the Vietnamese community to alleviate their sufferings during these tumultuous days. This is out of empathy and also I do not trust people/translators/interpreters in Vietnam to carry out a professional job.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Irresponsible attitude Jun 26, 2010

OK. We cannot blame these Vietnamese people for trying to find a better future for them and their children, but we can disagree with the fact that the associations who brought them there did not expect or encourage them to learn to read and write in English... for 30 years!

[Edited at 2010-06-26 08:01 GMT]

Trinh Do
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Hard to believe that the Vietnamese cannot read/write English after staying in the US for 30 years Jun 27, 2010

Come to think of it, it's incredible as I know of many successful Vietnamese people who hold high-ranking jobs in the US. This is a generalisation made by many foreigners about the linguistic skills of the Vietnamese. This is just a catch of the media, without doing much research on the topic. If the Vietnamese community can try and toil to build a future, they certainly can learn to read and write in English - maybe better than some "native" English speakers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vietnamese fishermen in Gulf fight to not get lost in translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »