Japanese e-tail site switches to English as in-house language

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Japanese e-tail site switches to English as in-house language".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:30
Japanese to English
Spammers Jul 9, 2010

Rakuten is also probably the number one source of spam in Japan.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:30
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Spammers Jul 9, 2010

casey wrote:

Rakuten is also probably the number one source of spam in Japan.

I'm not a fan of Rakuten or never used their site, but why do you say so? Is it because their banner ads pop up everywhere?

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Local time: 13:30
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
Like or dislike, Jul 9, 2010

the company is creative. Once you use their service, you might receive many annoying ads, but it is still deniable. They try to hire lots of non-Japanese employees and use the international language as in-house language, which is not typical for companies in Japan. I would give applause for their decision.

[Edited at 2010-07-09 22:42 GMT]

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:30
German to English
seems misguided to me Jul 12, 2010

As a translator, I am obviously not an impartial judge, but... Imagine the enormous amount of inefficiency involved in forcing all employees to communicate in a foreign language! Because this kind of policy is financially unsound, I won't take the time to worry about the negative social and economic effects: I assume the company or the policy will go under within a matter of years.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese e-tail site switches to English as in-house language

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »