Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
When intellectuals lose their jobs and have to consider translation to earn money

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "When intellectuals lose their jobs and have to consider translation to earn money".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Subscribe to this topic by email Jul 25, 2010

Hi Romina,

How come we cannot "suscribe to this topic" unless we post some coments before?
There must be a glitch someway because in the regular fora we certainly can.

Thank you for this "translation news" job you have taken. It is really useful and fun to read.

Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:15
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Very sad story, but so real for many professionals out there. Jul 25, 2010

It is often the case that companies do not hire over-qualified applicants because they believe that the applicants would naturally demand a higher salary. In these days being a highly educated individual (and possibly currently unemployed) must provide such an ironic false sense of security.

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:15
Danish to English
two questions? Jul 25, 2010

How does an individual determine that they are "intellectual"?
Why does anyone who thinks he is an "intellectual" come to the conclusion that he can "turn to translation" to make money?
To me this sounds like someone is saying- "I'm smart, but I lost my job, so I'll just do some translation in the meantime".
I guess it must just be kid's stuff for these intellectual people.
Good luck!

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Fudz Jul 25, 2010

Surely a PhD comes with some sort of pension and anything you earn over and above that is for spending on luxuries?

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Danish to English
Phd most likely comes with a student loan Jul 26, 2010

A Phd is a degree, not a career. It cannot possibly come with any sort of pension, unless the holder has had a long career behind him. But of course, you are not serious!
It really breaks my heart to think that these unfortunate highly educated intellectuals would have to resort to translation or stocking shelves in a grocery store in order to make ends meet.
Maybe they could apply for some sort of government bail-out.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I will test it and let you know Jul 26, 2010

Hi Walter,

Thanks for posting!

Hi Romina,

How come we cannot "suscribe to this topic" unless we post some coments before?
There must be a glitch someway because in the regular fora we certainly can.

I will test it and let you know.

I am glad that you find the stories useful and fun.

Thanks!

Romina

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
63 years old Jul 27, 2010

Does she really expect to find a job at this age? I'm sure she'll be able to draw her pension soon.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
It's very sad, indeed Jul 27, 2010

Tatty wrote:

Does she really expect to find a job at this age? I'm sure she'll be able to draw her pension soon.

She is NOT guilty of her age. Age (along with qualifications) should be appreciated - like mature cheese or wine.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Difficult to face that a career change is a must Jul 27, 2010

I think her statement regarding low paying translation jobs is a result of a complete lack of knowledge within this work field and a loss of self respect which very often comes with long term unemployment.

Someone should help this woman figure out how the translation world works so she will see a new way of making use of her skills for much more than sweatshop rates. This way she would be able to earn a decent living, and she could regain her self respect.

Just a though
... See more
I think her statement regarding low paying translation jobs is a result of a complete lack of knowledge within this work field and a loss of self respect which very often comes with long term unemployment.

Someone should help this woman figure out how the translation world works so she will see a new way of making use of her skills for much more than sweatshop rates. This way she would be able to earn a decent living, and she could regain her self respect.

Just a thought.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Pension? At 65? Jul 27, 2010

Tatty wrote:

63 years old

In which country? In most northern European countries, the statutory pension age is moving towards 80 very fast.

Katarina Delic
Katarina Delic  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Then... Jul 27, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Tatty wrote:

63 years old

In which country? In most northern European countries, the statutory pension age is moving towards 80 very fast.

How many people actually live long enough to retire? Oh yes, those that start acquiring their years of service right after elementary school...

BTW, I don't think you're right, at least not for now. If there is some long-term plan of the European countries to move the limit to 80 years of age then this world is going even more crazy... In Serbia at the moment (at least that's what I read in the papers) women work until 59 and men until 64, unless of course they gain enough years of service before that age.

tronni
tronni  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:15
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
Some tips sent Jul 27, 2010

I read this same article and sent an e-mail to the reporter, asking if she could do me and her a favor and forward my e-mail. I gave this PhD some tips about ATA and the local Nevada chapter (NITA). She needs to make contacts fast and stop even considering working for those 0.03/word companies. She should be able to make reasonable money if she learns the right, business like attitude.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Slight, but only slight, exaggeration Jul 27, 2010

Katarina Delic wrote:

BTW, I don't think you're right, at least not for now. If there is some long-term plan of the European countries to move the limit to 80 years of age then this world is going even more crazy

The age for a full pension in Sweden has been 65 for both genders for a long time. And in the UK the same is true for the male pension age, and the age for females in the UK is rapidly changing. The projection for both these countries now appears to be 68 or beyond.

Reading about citizens of other EU countries being able to enjoy a shorter work life/period does not particularly make us happy. Unless the countries they live in are net contributors to the EU (rarely the case).

[Edited at 2010-07-27 20:55 GMT]

RashmiP
RashmiP
United States
Translation as a new career Jul 28, 2010

Translation is a nice and upcoming career with lots of opportunities. Since most businesses are spreading and going to various countries, they need translators to understand the market and people better.If you are good in more languages, you can earn a handsome salary.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes. In Germany it's 67 now Jul 28, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

The age for a full pension in Sweden has been 65 for both genders for a long time. And in the UK the same is true for the male pension age, and the age for females in the UK is rapidly changing. The projection for both these countries now appears to be 68 or beyond.

Yes, in Germany it moved up, too. From 65 to 67. Next rising expected.

And may I please just remind shortly that some parts of the translation industry in fact do even c.o.u.n.t. with experienced translators for rock bottom rates? The more experienced, the cheaper. This was the business idea of an aency forum poster not long ago...

[Edited at 2010-07-28 15:02 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When intellectuals lose their jobs and have to consider translation to earn money

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »