Toughening language tests for court interpreters limiting number of interpreters (Pennsylvania, U.S.)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Toughening language tests for court interpreters limiting number of interpreters (Pennsylvania, U.S.)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:57
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Increasing the Quality May 3, 2011

Good move in order to increase the quality at the expense of decreasing the quantity of court interpreters.

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:57
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Court interpreting - 100% accuracy May 4, 2011

Hello

I am not surprised to hear this, as I am sure some interpreters are not up to the task of interpreting in a legal setting (me for one).

The problem nowadays is that you can be an excellent interpreter, but one or two misinterpretations could have a devastating outcome, not just in terms of justice, but financial ones too. I believe legal interpreting must be one of the most difficult jobs to do. Raising qualification standards may help, but it will definitely limit
... See more
Hello

I am not surprised to hear this, as I am sure some interpreters are not up to the task of interpreting in a legal setting (me for one).

The problem nowadays is that you can be an excellent interpreter, but one or two misinterpretations could have a devastating outcome, not just in terms of justice, but financial ones too. I believe legal interpreting must be one of the most difficult jobs to do. Raising qualification standards may help, but it will definitely limit the number of legal interpreters currently available. Personally I think the training establishments should look into this as more "on-site" experience is required before an interpreter is "let out" into the real world of interpreting in Court.

[Edited at 2011-05-04 13:50 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Toughening language tests for court interpreters limiting number of interpreters (Pennsylvania, U.S.)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »