"I Love Wolves" Project: Love in any Language Launched by wolfhybridpuppies.com Internationally to Translate the Phrase "I Love Wolves"

This discussion belongs to Translation news » ""I Love Wolves" Project: Love in any Language Launched by wolfhybridpuppies.com Internationally to Translate the Phrase "I Love Wolves" ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Nelida Kreer
Nelida Kreer  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
I Love Wolves in many languages Jan 5, 2012

Hello Romina,
There was a mistake in the Spanish version ("me encanta" los lobos, instead of "me encantan" los lobos), I sent an e-mail correction to Edye, and some additional suggestions.

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 22:00
German to English
Why wouldn't we work for free? Jan 5, 2012

The website wolfhybridpuppies.com is not associated with a charity. Their front page states very clearly: Puppies for sale. While their dedication to linguistic accuracy is admirable, I have to wonder exactly what qualifies this initiative as 'news'. It looks like yet another free ride to me. Thank you Proz.

Cristina Manoli
Cristina Manoli  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:00
English to Romanian
+ ...
Google Translate!? Jan 6, 2012

After I've seen the Romanian translation, I am almost sure they used Google Translate

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:00
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Commercial purpose Jan 6, 2012

Damian Harrison wrote:

The website wolfhybridpuppies.com is not associated with a charity. Their front page states very clearly: Puppies for sale. While their dedication to linguistic accuracy is admirable, I have to wonder exactly what qualifies this initiative as 'news'. It looks like yet another free ride to me. Thank you Proz.

I agree.
The purpose here is clearly commercial, this is a business. Getting those words on their webpage will help with search engines, so under the fluffy, sweet coat, cold marketing is at work. The press release was written and published by the business owner himself. They are pretty clueless (or pretend to be - how is that? Wolf in a sheep's clothing?), don't seem to understand the difference between spoken and written language, talks about "Filipino language", doesn't understand what translation really is, "started out with GT", then what a surprise, realized it is unreliable, then continued with another ingenious idea of free crowdsourcing (but without the technology) - are they really expecting good results from this? (Their webpage hits must have hiked today, so they already got that working for them.)
Damian is right, why is it news for us? Why does ProZ promote this "project" that is NOT for a non-profit and does not seem to be for professional translators?
Next time I decide to start up a new business, I will write a pretty press release and launch a similar volunteer project that will drive traffic to my website. Then I will let ProZ now about it, and they will do the rest. Great idea?

[Edited at 2012-01-06 02:03 GMT]

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
I thought there might be aspects of interest to translators Jan 6, 2012

Hi all,

I am responsible for flagging this news. I thought the fact that correct translations of the phrase seem to be difficult to reach with the methods being used would be of interest to translators. The "article" also highlights the role and importance of human translators. That was the reason why the news was flagged.

... See more
Hi all,

I am responsible for flagging this news. I thought the fact that correct translations of the phrase seem to be difficult to reach with the methods being used would be of interest to translators. The "article" also highlights the role and importance of human translators. That was the reason why the news was flagged.

Reference link http://www.proz.com/faq/101324#101324

I hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Romina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"I Love Wolves" Project: Love in any Language Launched by wolfhybridpuppies.com Internationally to Translate the Phrase "I Love Wolves"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »