Text-to-speech technology is no longer science fiction

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Text-to-speech technology is no longer science fiction".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Salman Rostami
Salman Rostami  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:16
Member (2009)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
oh my God! Aug 3, 2010

Oh my God! It seems that we will disappear in some years! IBM is working on a text to text translation system very seriously. I think I have to learn some new skills else than translation to rely on after 5 or 6 years from now!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:16
English to Thai
+ ...
Another grade of translation Aug 3, 2010

I remember Internet history where military was the initial inventor. Now Internet is used globally. If the military TRANSTAC system becomes practical, we the human translators need to study more to compete with new translation demand. The problem is "how we will seek and respond to newer demand." I anticipate that translation demand will diversify region by region. Or we will need to fight with niche market demand.

Regards,

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text-to-speech technology is no longer science fiction

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »